• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK/US trade deal that cuts tariffs and allows workers to move between the US and UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK/US trade deal that cuts tariffs and allows workers to move between the US and UK

"Theresa May and Donald Trump will this week hold talks over a US-UK trade deal that slashes tariffs and makes it easier for hundreds of thousands of workers to move between the two countries."

"Sources believe any agreement on tariffs would give Mrs May significant leverage in her negotiations with Brussels and allow her to demand that EU leaders give Britain a good deal." (AtW's comment: no, it won't!)"

"There are around 230,000 people born in North America aged between 16 and 64 living in Britain. The British population in the USA has been estimated at 700,000.

“We can grow those numbers,” a senior Government source said."

Theresa May and Donald Trump to hold talks on trade deal that cuts tariffs and allows workers to move between the US and UK

Wasn't the idea of Brexit that UK can control it's borders to reduce immigration?

With all the Australians, you'll hardly notice a few Yanks: "The UK has been told it will have to relax its immigration rules for Australians if it wants a free trade deal with Canberra." Brexit: Australia eyes relaxed UK immigration under trade deal - BBC News

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      With all the Australians, you'll hardly notice a few Yanks: "The UK has been told it will have to relax its immigration rules for Australians if it wants a free trade deal with Canberra." Brexit: Australia eyes relaxed UK immigration under trade deal - BBC News
      Well, it makes sense. With more Yanks over here, we'll need more bar staff.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Work in Murica? Not without a fully armed away team. Come on spare man no. 1 and 2 whose name I don't remember.
        Last edited by scooterscot; 23 January 2017, 14:45.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          Work in Murica? Not without a fully armed away team. Come on spare man no. 1 and 2 whose name I don't remember.
          Yet you'll work in another country suffering from terrorist incidents. How odd.

Not right now for me, but I wouldn't say no to a 12-month gig in the US at some point.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Not only will they be relaxing immigration for all the countries they do deals with, they'll probably end up doing a deal with the EU which includes the freedom of movement, but with token controls.

Germany's Schaeuble tells Britain to look to Swiss for Brexit ideas | Reuters

Switzerland has access to the European single market through a series of bilateral agreements and has skirted voters' demand in a 2014 referendum for outright quotas on foreign workers by instead giving local people first crack at open jobs
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              Not only will they be relaxing immigration for all the countries they do deals with, they'll probably end up doing a deal with the EU which includes the freedom of movement, but with token controls.

Germany's Schaeuble tells Britain to look to Swiss for Brexit ideas | Reuters

They wouldn't exactly want us looking too hard at Luxembourg's dealings would they?

Comment

Would like to work in the states, not sure I'd like the working environment but always wanted to give it a go.

Comment

These things will always to the US's advantage with very little given to the other side. I would expect US nationals to be given visa-free access, while the UK will still have to abide by the H1B visa scheme.

The US have never given away anything that is not in the US's national interest and I certainly don't expect them to do so now.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    These things will always to the US's advantage with very little given to the other side. I would expect US nationals to be given visa-free access, while the UK will still have to abide by the H1B visa scheme. The US have never given away anything that is not in the US's national interest and I certainly don't expect them to do so now.
                    Look, you people are never happy - May said very clearly that Brexit means Brexit and that she'll get free trade deal with USA quickly, so there!

Comment

Working...
                    X