Anyone else not have a pension? Anyone else not have a pension? - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Posts 61 to 65 of 65
  1. #61

    Banned

    Bee is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sasguru View Post
    Have a SIPP with a nice 6-figure sum in it, and recently sold 2 BTLs in London, proceeds of which are sitting in various trackers.
    The latter make me uneasy as I can see stock markets around the world are frothy due to low interest rates/QE.
    Not so sure of the UK property market, particulalry if Corbyn gets in, so I'm going to invest the BTL proceeds in a property in Lisbon/Cascais/Estoril, which has high all-year short-term rental demand and is still some way of its pre-recession peak. Also has the benefit of providing a nice holiday home.
    Portugal has various tax advantages and no inheritance tax for direct lineage.
    Pre-recession peak...what a hell!!! What do you mean by this?

  2. #62

    Better than AtW

    sasguru - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    35,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bee View Post
    Pre-recession peak...what a hell!!! What do you mean by this?
    It means exactly what it says.
    https://www.globalpropertyguide.com/.../Price-History
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

  3. #63

    Banned

    Bee is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sasguru View Post
    Yes, but pre-recession it's not before a recession? Portugal it's not in a recession anymore. I'm sorry the confusion, probably is my English.

  4. #64

    Better than AtW

    sasguru - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    35,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bee View Post
    Yes, but pre-recession it's not before a recession? Portugal it's not in a recession anymore. I'm sorry the confusion, probably is my English.
    Yes that's what I mean. Lisbon property prices now are about 10% less than they were before the recession. So there's some room for capital growth.
    Also Lisbon is becoming one of the most popular tourist destinations in Europe (apart from its obvious attractions it also has the lowest chance of terrorist attack).
    I would rent to tourists on short-term lets, renting to a local is too complciated in terms of the law + that way I could keep the property free for certain periods when I wanted it for holiday purposes. I like Cascais actually, rather than Lisbon itself, but it's close enough.
    Last edited by sasguru; 9th August 2017 at 16:57.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

  5. #65

    Banned

    Bee is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sasguru View Post
    Yes that's what I mean. Lisbon property prices now are about 10% less than they were before the recession. So there's some room for capital growth.
    Also Lisbon is becoming one of the most popular tourist destinations in Europe (apart from its obvious attractions it also has the lowest chance of terrorist attack).
    I would rent to tourists on short-term lets, renting to a local is too complciated in terms of the law + that way I could keep the property free for certain periods when I wanted it for holiday purposes. I like Cascais actually, rather than Lisbon itself, but it's close enough.
    Yes, the house prices are increasing again and fast, but a good time for buying was in 2012, I know a lot of people that invested in a house to sell later.

    Porto has a lot of tourism too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •