• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK and US can lead world again, May says

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK and US can lead world again, May says

Someone better tell China. 'Look out!' US and UK coming through.

I managed a few paragraphs before nearly about this 'special relationship'. Give it up already. We've milked that one so much we're only sucking up grizzle.

Theresa May is to vow to renew the UK's special relationship with the US "for this new age" as she prepares to meet Donald Trump for the first time.

She travels to Philadelphia later to address Republican leaders at an event attended by the US president.
    She will tell them that after Brexit, a "sovereign, global" Britain wants to enhance ties with its "old friends".

On Friday, Mrs May will be the first world leader to hold face-to-face talks with Mr Trump in the White House.
    Post-Brexit trade opportunities, security and intelligence co-operation and the future of Nato are likely to feature significantly in the talks.

Source: Theresa May says US and UK can lead world again, ahead of Trump meeting - BBC News
    Last edited by scooterscot; 26 January 2017, 11:12.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

What else would you expect her to say, just for clarity?
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      What else would you expect her to say, just for clarity?
      I'm a sad brexiteer, I have now seen the light please let us back into the EU we will do anything even being annexed by Romania.We promise not to question your expenses or accounts.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

You should be hoping that she can assert some sort of calming influence on him.

Fortunately he does appear to like the UK.

He doesn't appear to be overly enamoured with the EU in general and Germany in particular. I think it's because the Germans expelled his grandfather. He does strike me as the kind of man to hold a grudge.

Comment

I'm a sad brexiteer
          IIRC she swung both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
            IIRC she swung both ways.

Blackadder : Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
            Baldrick : Yeah! It's like goldy and bronzy, only it's made of iron.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
              I think it's because the Germans expelled his grandfather.[/URL] He does strike me as the kind of man to hold a grudge.
              Another draft dodger - watch out middle east!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                Another draft dodger - watch out middle east!
                Trump ain't happy with Israel.

... but then he's banning Muslims.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Although, if past history is anything to go by, Britain has managed to do relatively well for a thousand years.

Comment

When did the UK and US lead the world before? Or are we confusing "lead" with "conquer"?

If Trump does turn out to be a complete disaster for the planet, then I suppose it's probably true that we'd be better off sucking up to him. The UK will be like the dumb kid that follows the bully around.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X