• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK and US can lead world again, May says

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    Although, if past history is anything to go by, Britain has managed to do relatively well for a thousand years.
    Yeah, the strategy of sticking close to the American's has worked out pretty well for the last 100 years, all things considering.

Trump is pretty easy to work out. He is a bully with a huge ego. He doesn't want to be standard politician - he wants to get things done. Quickly.

"America First" and "Hire American, Buy American" tells you pretty much what you need to know about him.

I reckon he see's a great opportunity with BREXIT. Basically get the UK into a FTA with the US to replace the current arrangement with the EU ( which the EU don't want us to maintain ). So UK consumers can Buy American, American firms will be bullied and bribed into Hiring American, and Trump can claim the credit for a US manufacturing renaissance.

Of course the EU can easily head this threat off by continuing free trade with the UK but they won't because their principals will get in the way.

The principled go head-to-head with the unprincipled. My money is on the Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
      Yeah, the strategy of sticking close to the American's has worked out pretty well for the last 100 years, all things considering.

Trump is pretty easy to work out. He is a bully with a huge ego. He doesn't want to be standard politician - he wants to get things done. Quickly.

"America First" and "Hire American, Buy American" tells you pretty much what you need to know about him.

I reckon he see's a great opportunity with BREXIT. Basically get the UK into a FTA with the US to replace the current arrangement with the EU ( which the EU don't want us to maintain ). So UK consumers can Buy American, American firms will be bullied and bribed into Hiring American, and Trump can claim the credit for a US manufacturing renaissance.

Of course the EU can easily head this threat off by continuing free trade with the UK but they won't because their principals will get in the way.

The principled go head-to-head with the unprincipled. My money is on the Americans.
      You and I know the UK/USA relationship is one step in many and it's total off-pieste in relation to my comment. I'll repeat it: Britain has done well for a long period of time - hundreds of years. Perhaps her time is up, but I very much doubt it.

Comment

Britain's time isn't up, far from it, but it's back to the 70's, stagflation

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
          You and I know the UK/USA relationship is one step in many and it's total off-pieste in relation to my comment. I'll repeat it: Britain has done well for a long period of time - hundreds of years. Perhaps her time is up, but I very much doubt it.
          I know. I was agreeing with you. I just wanted to get my "Trump Rant" off my chest.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
            I know. I was agreeing with you. I just wanted to get my "Trump Rant" off my chest.
            Oops, sorry. I'm in defence of Britain mode!

Comment

May's trade plan

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                May's trade plan

pity WE abolished slavery then.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  May's trade plan

Good to see Ireland labelled Britain.

Comment

FAO scooter

Scooter - are you one of these annoying "I told you so" people?

Why don't you take a different view on brexit and help fix the problem? With your skills your could move to the UK, educate people into better jobs, pay lots of tax into the UK coffers and help redress the pending downturn.

Why be so negative? Why not look forward and help?

Comment

Victorian times are here again

Comment

Working...
                      X