• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK and US can lead world again, May says

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slavery was abolished on 1 August 1834 under the Abolition of Slavery Act 1834 and 20 million pounds was set aside by the British government to compensate slave owners.

The Slave Compensation Commission was set up under the act to estimate the value of slaves and to investigate claims for compensation. The Commission was ended in 1842 but one commissioner was appointed to adjudicate on outstanding claims. The records of the Slave Compensation Commission are in the National Archives in the series T 71.

The commissioners were interested in the value of slaves and evidence of ownership and, therefore, information on slaves as individuals is very limited. However, some information can be found, especially for slaves who had not been registered and those born after the last registration and before emancipation.

Evidence on the value of slaves was collected and has been preserved as exhibits. Exhibits are not indexed but include the returns of sales of slaves; for example, through the local court of chancery or marshal's office to recover taxes and debts. Slaves are often named in the exhibits and they may give relationships especially when a mother and her children were sold together. The prices paid for slaves were used to establish general values for compensation, with each slave having a different value based on their age and their work.

The National Debt Office was responsible for the payment of compensation awards and the records are in NDO 4. The records include payment books showing the sum awarded, together with miscellaneous accounts, correspondence and some death and marriage certificates. Other compensation claims are in AO 14/37-48.
    Note; owners such as Barclays were compensated but not the slaves.

[ARCHIVED CONTENT] UK Government Web Archive – The National Archives
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
      Scooter - are you one of these annoying "I told you so" people?

Why don't you take a different view on brexit and help fix the problem? With your skills your could move to the UK, educate people into better jobs, pay lots of tax into the UK coffers and help redress the pending downturn.

Why be so negative? Why not look forward and help?
      "I told you so" is the British way is it not? We've been dishing that out since the EU's inception. Why not get on board?

Our family life in the EU is in jeopardy because we don't know if our status will be maintained whilst we're used as a bargaining chip. We're alienated by our government. I'm not alone.

Now I'm told to get on board with the circumstance that is stressing us out? The audacity.

The problem is ignorance, apathy, self serving politicians. This is only 'solved' once we reach the bottom. Personally the quicker we get there the sooner problems can be solved.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        "I told you so" is the British way is it not? We've been dishing that out since the EU's inception. Why not get on board?

Our family life in the EU is in jeopardy because we don't know if our status will be maintained whilst we're used as a bargaining chip. We're alienated by our government. I'm not alone.

Now I'm told to get on board with the circumstance that is stressing us out? The audacity.

The problem is ignorance, apathy, self serving politicians. This is only 'solved' once we reach the bottom. Personally the quicker we get there the sooner problems can be solved.
        What was it May said in her Lancaster House speech.

"6. Rights for EU nationals in Britain, and British nationals in the EU

Fairness demands that we deal with another issue as soon as possible too. We want to guarantee the rights of EU citizens who are already living in Britain, and the rights of British nationals in other member states, as early as we can.

I have told other EU leaders that we could give people the certainty they want straight away, and reach such a deal now.

Many of them favour such an agreement – 1 or 2 others do not – but I want everyone to know that it remains an important priority for Britain – and for many other member states – to resolve this challenge as soon as possible. Because it is the right and fair thing to do."

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
          Scooter - are you one of these annoying "I told you so" people?

Why don't you take a different view on brexit and help fix the problem? With your skills your could move to the UK, educate people into better jobs, pay lots of tax into the UK coffers and help redress the pending downturn.

Why be so negative? Why not look forward and help?
          That's all we've heard from the Brexiters for years. Go back before the referendum and ask: why don't you take a different view on the EU and help fix the problem? Why be so negative? Why not look forward and help?
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

It's a bit like Spain and France saying we can lead the world again

UK & US, look behind you, it's done, get over it.
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Lead the world in what?

If only Auf Wiedersehen, Pet was still on TV. I hear Trump is looking for brickies.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                May's trade plan

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                Good to see Ireland labelled Britain.
                After Brexit we set sail for America, says May

After Brexit we set sail for America, says May
                17-01-17

THERESA May told Britain today that once a clean Brexit is achieved, Britain will weigh anchor and sail across the Atlantic to the New World.

The prime minister outlined her plan to cut all ties with the continent including geographical ones, leaving Britain free to roam the world with impunity.

She continued: “We cannot hold on to bits of European membership, apart from free trade, bank passporting and a few others, so to continue being physically linked to it is more than Britain can bear.

“In March 2019, once clean Brexit has been achieved and the EU’s population instructed not to even look at us without permission, Britain’s vast sails will be erected and we depart for America dragging the Chunnel behind us.

“And if America proves inhospitable then perhaps Australia or Africa or simply a merry life of piracy on the high seas.

“Oh, and Ireland’s coming with us as a hostage.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  Note; owners such as Barclays were compensated but not the slaves.

[ARCHIVED CONTENT] UK Government Web Archive – The National Archives
                  It was incredible that they managed to abolish slavery, the compensation was a bribe to the owners to allow them to do it. It nearly didn't happen. No that isn't fair.

Many other countries carried on with Slavery for decades Nutters such as Daesh are still into it.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                    Victorian times are here again
                    Does this mean that architecture will improve? Please say it is so.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                      Does this mean that architecture will improve? Please say it is so.
                      I for one am looking forward to the construction of some iconic bridges. And what's not to love about travelling by steam train?

Comment

Working...
                      X