Spanish going off message now Spanish going off message now - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 58

Godlike

Mordac is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by GB9 View Post
    Spain proposing trade talks in parallel with divorce talks.

What with the Czechs talking about individual deals for their people in the UK and Spain pointing out how much trade it does with the UK, it's almost like individual countries are acting in their own self interest rather than preparing for pain for the common good of t'Committee.

Exactly what I hoped would happen, and thought might happen. Add Poland, France and Germany, who all have a strong vested interest in a very good trade deal with the UK, and the pressures on the central commissariat will be substantial. The EU might very well want to put us on the naughty step, but not many member states will want to.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

My post count is Majestic

vetran is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    Nope unfortunately not.

BTW If Junket wasn't there in the first place but someone Spanish the referendum wouldn't have been held.
    Quite probably we could reform the EU and all this unpleasantness could have been avoided.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

More fingers than teeth

BlasterBates - scorchio!

...and not to forget the different messages coming out of the WTO when the UK starts to submit it's new trade deals for approval.

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...-off-nears-q-a

It’ll probably be trickier for Britain to work out new commercial relationships with countries such as the U.S., China, Japan, New Zealand and Brazil that have no free-trade accords with the EU. In these cases, some of the commitments that the EU has made to those nations under WTO rules may need to be renegotiated with the U.K., which would then have to win approval for those changes in Geneva.

“First, there’s a pitfall in all this within the EU during the Brexit negotiations,” said Jacques Bourgeois, a senior adviser at law firm Sidley Austin LLP in Brussels. “Then, in Geneva, there are bound to be cases in which WTO partners will unearth old grievances. That’s unavoidable.”
    Argentina for example, might decide to flex its muscles.
    I'm alright Jack

Super poster

The_Equalizer is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Argentina for example, might decide to flex its muscles.
    Which muscles are those? They've spent nothing on their armed forces for decades.

Ducklike

Platypus is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by Eirikur View Post
    Article is behind a pay wall
    Anyway wanting something is different form actually doing something
    Spain wants to start post-Brexit trade talks with Britain as soon as possible – defying the EU - Business Insider Nordic

Double Godlike!

original PM is a fount of knowledge

I think we should propose a new club called the United Kingdoms of Europe.

We could take all the good things from the old club and leave the bad things alone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarchies_in_Europe

Sadly France, Germany and Italy do not qualify

Banned

Bee is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by Antman View Post
    I read it to mean that they'll play hard-ball with Gib.

I remember about 20 years ago in Brussels talking to Spanish who said they didn't understand why you would be in a club if you disagree about everything in it. And because we were a big voice in the club we would hold up a lot of stuff and piss a lot of other countries with it too.

Today the other Europeans I speak with still believe in the EU. I don't think that it will disappear in the near future. In fact I don't think of Brexit as a zero-sum game. It's obvious that we shouldn't be in the EU, the EU will make strides to their "ever closer union" and we will be free to trade with them.
    De Espanha, nem bons ventos, nem bons casamentos.

Godlike

barrydidit is a fount of knowledge

I reckon Theresa has threatened to flog Gib to North Korea. That'll disturb a few siestas.

More fingers than teeth

darmstadt is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Quite probably we could reform the EU and all this unpleasantness could have been avoided.
    And that is what should have happened, if Britain had played a lot stronger role then I suspect that reforms would have been made, as it is, there are reforms now being made, just too late...
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

I live on CUK

SueEllen is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by darmstadt View Post
    And that is what should have happened, if Britain had played a lot stronger role then I suspect that reforms would have been made, as it is, there are reforms now being made, just too late...
    If the two main political parties are too lazy to explain to people why they should vote in the European Elections, then they shouldn't have been surprised that UKIP MEPs are elected who do absolutely sod all.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR