• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spanish going off message now

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I thought that we could not chuck people out if they could show they are looking for work, I could be wrong on that though.
    Also, studying is a joke, the amount of money owed to universities by foreign students and not collected is farcical (though based on my experience of one uni) - quite a few of them also "work" when they should be studying.
    There is this cr*p on the government jobsite that if you transfer your benefits to another EU country they can't chuck you out while you are looking for a job. I think you get 6 months in that case otherwise you get 3.

Anyway the rules are different in other EU countries so if you are looking for a job for 3 months or whatever you have to support yourself.

In regards to the EU student thing that is the fault of the Student Loans Company being fecking useless in chasing people like the NHS. When they were initially set up they couldn't accept payments from foreign bank accounts - I have no idea if they can do so now.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
      Portugal es el único país del mundo donde el amante de un hombre es más más fea que su esposa
      Fea, pero fea de cojones!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        There is this cr*p on the government jobsite that if you transfer your benefits to another EU country they can't chuck you out while you are looking for a job. I think you get 6 months in that case otherwise you get 3.

Anyway the rules are different in other EU countries so if you are looking for a job for 3 months or whatever you have to support yourself.

In regards to the EU student thing that is the fault of the Student Loans Company being fecking useless in chasing people like the NHS. When they were initially set up they couldn't accept payments from foreign bank accounts - I have no idea if they can do so now.
        I will google the 3 months thing, I defo read of court case that the UK lost - which meant that you could not be thrown out of the country if you where looking for work or had a reasonable chance of getting work.

Regarding study, regardless of who's fault it is the end result is students come over here pretending to study, don't pay, don't attend lectures and work when they should be studying. The one uni I know about was near bankrupt and still would not chase outstanding course fees and it was common knowledge that students worked and did not attend lectures. This was a major uni.

Comment

I will google the 3 months thing, I defo read of court case that the UK lost - which meant that you could not be thrown out of the country if you where looking for work or had a reasonable chance of getting work.
          Good cos Germany is used the ruling as well.

I
          Regarding study, regardless of who's fault it is the end result is students come over here pretending to study, don't pay, don't attend lectures and work when they should be studying. The one uni I know about was near bankrupt and still would not chase outstanding course fees and it was common knowledge that students worked and did not attend lectures. This was a major uni.
          I believe you.

The unis I went to both clamped own on it. Everyone was forced to sign attendance records for lectures and tutorials. In large lectures you could get other people to sign you in, but they did randomly pull people in to the department head's office and ask them if it was their signature. If the person hadn't made their signature varied then they were given a warning. No one got kicked out though until the end of the year.

Incidentally they never did it to the non-EU students paying mega fees and on my Masters 90% of an Asian ethnic group failed the course. (And no they weren't Indian.) The reason was they cheated on their English exam to get on the course and then didn't improve their English by using it.

Comment

After Brexit, UK will be out of the Erasmus Program.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
              Spain proposing trade talks in parallel with divorce talks.

What with the Czechs talking about individual deals for their people in the UK and Spain pointing out how much trade it does with the UK, it's almost like individual countries are acting in their own self interest rather than preparing for pain for the common good of t'Committee.
              I could be wrong but I don't find any evidence in the Spanish newspaper that trade talks in parallel are true. The only thing that they want is to negotiate is the sovereignty of Gibraltar.

It's obvious that after Brexit, all the EU members (not only Spain) that have economic interests with the UK will try to have a good business, but should be done after the Brexit.

Comment

So being able to come in for 3 months wasn't the problem?

How do you kick out hundreds of thousands of people after 3 months?
                You should do a research of the laws of your country, I'm confident that they are good.

If the UK authorities are not controlling who stays, which is difficult, and some of them need to be put on a watch list, it's not EU fault, furthermore, all states members have to ensure that they are capable of controlling the borders from non-EU members.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                  You should do a research of the laws of your country, I'm confident that they are good.

If the UK authorities are not controlling who stays, which is difficult, and some of them need to be put on a watch list, it's not EU fault, furthermore, all states members have to ensure that they are capable of controlling the borders from non-EU members.
                  So we are supposed to rely on a system that's completely unworkable. No thanks.

Comment

What is the unworkable UK!!! I'm sorry I don't get it.

Comment

We aren't in Schengen so we should know who goes in and out.

The fact we don't is not the EU's fault.

Comment

Working...
                      X