• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spanish going off message now

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    Spain proposing trade talks in parallel with divorce talks.

What with the Czechs talking about individual deals for their people in the UK and Spain pointing out how much trade it does with the UK, it's almost like individual countries are acting in their own self interest rather than preparing for pain for the common good of t'Committee.

Exactly what I hoped would happen, and thought might happen. Add Poland, France and Germany, who all have a strong vested interest in a very good trade deal with the UK, and the pressures on the central commissariat will be substantial. The EU might very well want to put us on the naughty step, but not many member states will want to.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Nope unfortunately not.

BTW If Junket wasn't there in the first place but someone Spanish the referendum wouldn't have been held.
      Quite probably we could reform the EU and all this unpleasantness could have been avoided.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

...and not to forget the different messages coming out of the WTO when the UK starts to submit it's new trade deals for approval.

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...-off-nears-q-a

It’ll probably be trickier for Britain to work out new commercial relationships with countries such as the U.S., China, Japan, New Zealand and Brazil that have no free-trade accords with the EU. In these cases, some of the commitments that the EU has made to those nations under WTO rules may need to be renegotiated with the U.K., which would then have to win approval for those changes in Geneva.

“First, there’s a pitfall in all this within the EU during the Brexit negotiations,” said Jacques Bourgeois, a senior adviser at law firm Sidley Austin LLP in Brussels. “Then, in Geneva, there are bound to be cases in which WTO partners will unearth old grievances. That’s unavoidable.”
        Argentina for example, might decide to flex its muscles.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          Argentina for example, might decide to flex its muscles.
          Which muscles are those? They've spent nothing on their armed forces for decades.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
            Article is behind a pay wall
            Anyway wanting something is different form actually doing something
            Spain wants to start post-Brexit trade talks with Britain as soon as possible – defying the EU - Business Insider Nordic

Comment

I think we should propose a new club called the United Kingdoms of Europe.

We could take all the good things from the old club and leave the bad things alone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarchies_in_Europe

Sadly France, Germany and Italy do not qualify

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
                I read it to mean that they'll play hard-ball with Gib.

I remember about 20 years ago in Brussels talking to Spanish who said they didn't understand why you would be in a club if you disagree about everything in it. And because we were a big voice in the club we would hold up a lot of stuff and piss a lot of other countries with it too.

Today the other Europeans I speak with still believe in the EU. I don't think that it will disappear in the near future. In fact I don't think of Brexit as a zero-sum game. It's obvious that we shouldn't be in the EU, the EU will make strides to their "ever closer union" and we will be free to trade with them.
                De Espanha, nem bons ventos, nem bons casamentos.

Comment

I reckon Theresa has threatened to flog Gib to North Korea. That'll disturb a few siestas.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    Quite probably we could reform the EU and all this unpleasantness could have been avoided.
                    And that is what should have happened, if Britain had played a lot stronger role then I suspect that reforms would have been made, as it is, there are reforms now being made, just too late...
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      And that is what should have happened, if Britain had played a lot stronger role then I suspect that reforms would have been made, as it is, there are reforms now being made, just too late...
                      If the two main political parties are too lazy to explain to people why they should vote in the European Elections, then they shouldn't have been surprised that UKIP MEPs are elected who do absolutely sod all.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X