• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spanish going off message now

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    And that is what should have happened, if Britain had played a lot stronger role then I suspect that reforms would have been made, as it is, there are reforms now being made, just too late...
    Britain at least attempted to change things but was laughed at by the Commission.

The majority of member's interests are different to ours hence better off out. For both sides

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
      Britain at least attempted to change things but was laughed at by the Commission.

The majority of member's interests are different to ours hence better off out. For both sides
      The Commission laughed at us because the things like freedom of movement were in the UK government's power to control.

Other countries chuck out people after 3 months if they aren't working, studying, got a pension or are officially supported by their married partner.* They also ensure they have no right to public funds.

*The trick is to go to another EU country for 24 hours. So in the case of the UK people would have to go to France or Ireland for 24 hours and return to the UK again.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        The Commission laughed at us because the things like freedom of movement were in the UK government's power to control.

Other countries chuck out people after 3 months if they aren't working, studying, got a pension or are officially supported by their married partner.* They also ensure they have no right to public funds.

*The trick is to go to another EU country for 24 hours. So in the case of the UK people would have to go to France or Ireland for 24 hours and return to the UK again.
        Absolutely, and you can see where this is going. The UK government will finally apply these rules so that they can claim a victory in the negotiations for a new deal. In the end the UK aint going anywhere.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

So being able to come in for 3 months wasn't the problem?

How do you kick out hundreds of thousands of people after 3 months?

Comment

Quite easily....
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Ask France, Germany, Finland, Sweden, Austria....

Comment

I thought that we could not chuck people out if they could show they are looking for work, I could be wrong on that though.
                Also, studying is a joke, the amount of money owed to universities by foreign students and not collected is farcical (though based on my experience of one uni) - quite a few of them also "work" when they should be studying.
                Last edited by woohoo; 26 January 2017, 14:58.

Comment

Ask France, Germany, Finland, Sweden, Austria....
                  Who don't do it.

Comment

Who don't do it.
                    Did you read the bit I put at the end of my post?

If you are caught by the authorities you are asked to leave, and most people being law abiding do.

The reason for this is getting a coach/ferry over to the next country's border doesn't take too long. You then stay and ensure 24 hours later you come back in again keeping the coach/ferry tickets. If you don't they can hand you a nice fine or chuck you out.

Edited to say: I know they do do it. I've worked in a couple of the countries that do it plus have been in deep conversations with others who live in countries who do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                      De Espanha, nem bons ventos, nem bons casamentos.
                      Portugal es el único país del mundo donde el amante de un hombre es más más fea que su esposa
                      England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Working...
                      X