HMRC getting tough? HMRC getting tough?
Posts 1 to 7 of 7

I Am Legend

BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?

Default HMRC getting tough?

MPs warn HMRC to get tough on tax from footballers and super-rich - BBC News

I would have thought the main focus would be on companies.

My post count is Majestic

AtW is a fount of knowledge

HMRC will be tough on what is known in the extortion business as "captive audience", rich footballers can bugger off somewhere else and so can big companies - the latter are pretty much untouchable because they have multi-national trade, so they can get away with claims that certain costs are totally legit.

You voted for Brtexit, which means you've voted for the new Ekonomic Model - high taxes on "captive audience" (who won't be able to bugger off to EU soon) and very low, even negative taxes for big firms willing to take advantage of the "flexible" workforce.

You've asked for it.

HTH

I live on CUK

SueEllen is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    HMRC will be tough on what is known in the extortion business as "captive audience", rich footballers can bugger off somewhere else and so can big companies - the latter are pretty much untouchable because they have multi-national trade, so they can get away with claims that certain costs are totally legit.
    Big Companies can afford to take HMRC to court, then appeal and show their inadequate lawyers that they are tulip hence they mostly leave them alone.

This is the same reason why we have IR35 and other tax investigation insurance.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

More fingers than teeth

scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain

The only time HMRC get tough is when they see a little man unable to defend themselves.
    “We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.”

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    Big Companies can afford to take HMRC to court, then appeal and show their inadequate lawyers that they are tulip hence they mostly leave them alone.

This is the same reason why we have IR35 and other tax investigation insurance.
    It's not about who can afford to take Govt to court - it's about who can afford to lose in court.

I live on CUK

SueEllen is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    It's not about who can afford to take Govt to court - it's about who can afford to lose in court.
    The government can't.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    The government can't.
    Govt never loses in court - taxpayers do...