• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Foodbank client stories

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    A life a million miles away from my life here in Fünfseenland.

Not how you'd imagine 21st century Britain to be.
    Or Germany

I think a lot of the growth in demand for Food Banks has been because the charities that run them are a lot better organised and have been able to get their message out.

I saw a local news story about one near me ( Oxford ). They were getting so much free food from local supermarkets that they didn't know what to do with it.

I don't see the "growth" in them as a bad thing. It's just society self-organising to look after the vulnerable and those that have fallen on hard-times and allocating it's abundant resources. Surely that's a good thing?

It's not just food either. There are lots of furniture distribution charities. I popped along to one a year back, massive warehouse, floor to ceiling with stuff. Paid £100 for a decent solid table for the garage.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      There seems to be a lot of arrogance towards those less fortunate than ourselves on here. Just got the foodbank news letter and I realised these stories might resonate with you
      Sadly it would appear you are right on this one.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

So many folk live hand to mouth. I'm not judging - just the way it is. Improving money in and money out is all you can do. So much income goes on housing in this country. Cheap housing would be a blessing to millions.
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
          So many folk live hand to mouth. I'm not judging - just the way it is. Improving money in and money out is all you can do. So much income goes on housing in this country. Cheap housing would be a blessing to millions.
          Won't be long before we will be using these as "temporary" homes for the growing UK population

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
            I think you've missed the point there.
            Sorry I'm not catching you. Care to run that by me one more time?
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Most people think that others get into these situations through stupidity or greed or poor planning, but often it is through ill health, relationship breakdown and other life changing events snowballing.

You lose your job/contract because you have a stroke or are involved in a serious accident and suddenly your life is fecked and your family are going hungry.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                I don't see the "growth" in them as a bad thing. It's just society self-organising to look after the vulnerable and those that have fallen on hard-times and allocating it's abundant resources. Surely that's a good thing?
                It's a nice thing, but not necessarily a good thing.

It's nice to see that some people in society will organise to help the vulnerable and those that need more support during hard times, sharing their resources to benefit society. It's not good that people are in that situation, though. In a fair and just society, the state would be the one to organise and look after the vulnerable and those that have fallen on hard-times - particularly since the state has more abundant resources than the citizens do. However, over the past 5-10 years that hasn't happened at all, hence the need for people to take on the work of the state.
                First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  Sorry I'm not catching you. Care to run that by me one more time?
                  That will be your epitaph!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
                    It's a nice thing, but not necessarily a good thing.
                    In a fair and just society, the state would be the one to organise and look after the vulnerable
                    Should it always be the State though? I am not sure I agree. I think a healthy society should be a mixture of state, NGO, commercial organisations and private individual activity.

I think the approach of "The State does everything" can lead to the attitude of : "I've done my bit, I've paid my taxes. Someone else's problem to look after the fallen".

Whereas if you do a few hours community work, whether that's helping the local kids football team, helping out with the old peoples centre on a Saturday afternoon or giving up a few hours to help a food bank or simply just donating something to the Food Bank it makes for a better society.

My view is that although Food Banks exist and I don't immediately start wringing my hands thinking what an awful country we live in. I think it shows that we live in a country where people still care about others.

Nobody starves to death in the UK ( or most of the world ). That in itself is a phenomenal change over the last 200 years.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                      Should it always be the State though? I am not sure I agree. I think a healthy society should be a mixture of state, NGO, commercial organisations and private individual activity.

I think the approach of "The State does everything" can lead to the attitude of : "I've done my bit, I've paid my taxes. Someone else's problem to look after the fallen".

Whereas if you do a few hours community work, whether that's helping the local kids football team, helping out with the old peoples centre on a Saturday afternoon or giving up a few hours to help a food bank or simply just donating something to the Food Bank it makes for a better society.

My view is that although Food Banks exist and I don't immediately start wringing my hands thinking what an awful country we live in. I think it shows that we live in a country where people still care about others.

Nobody starves to death in the UK ( or most of the world ). That in itself is a phenomenal change over the last 200 years.
                      Volunteering to help people with your time to provide extras is different in providing them the basics. The state should, via our taxes, provide people healthcare plus basic food, accommodation and help working age people to get another job without judgement if they fall. Otherwise we have gone backwards to a Victorian society where we have the deserving and under deserving poor.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X