• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Criminal Justice System values money over life

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Criminal Justice System values money over life

A haulage boss and a mechanic have been jailed following a 2015 tipper truck crash that killed four people in Bath.
    Matthew Gordon and Peter Wood were sentenced at Bristol Crown Court to seven and a-half years and five years three months, respectively.
    A former deputy judge and his assistant have both been jailed for six years after defrauding more than £600,000 from their law firm's clients.
    Two very different crimes, but similar sentences. Just goes to show how the criminal justice system focuses on money and property more than peoples' lives.

I believe that anyone who directly or indirectly causes the death of another person through deliberate acts or negligence should be put away for decades, not a few years.

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
    I believe that anyone who directly or indirectly causes the death of another person through deliberate acts or negligence should be put away for decades, not a few years.
    But there is a problem right there. You can't lump an indirect crime through negligence with a direct crime that was deliberate together. As soon as you do your argument just falls around your ears.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      But there is a problem right there. You can't lump an indirect crime through negligence with a direct crime that was deliberate together. As soon as you do your argument just falls around your ears.
      Why not? They deliberately didn't maintain their vehicles properly (ok, that wasn't in my quote), which resulted in the deaths of four people. Responsibility doesn't change just because they didn't kill the people directly themselves.

Comment

Why not? They deliberately didn't maintain their vehicles properly (ok, that wasn't in my quote), which resulted in the deaths of four people. Responsibility doesn't change just because they didn't kill the people directly themselves.
        I'm not disagreeing they should have gotten more.. But if you want to argue it you've got to look at the law and then it becomes a minefield, which was where you were going in your post.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It is very generally why there is a distinction between manslaughter and murder.

And it boils down to intent.

Those guys did not intend to kill anyone but by their negligence they did - Manslaughter.

If those guys deliberately planned to drive into people and kill them - murder

Interesting question

If the guys had maintained their vehicle to an acceptable standard and something unexpected broke and killed the people - what is the verdict?

Comment

Two very different crimes, but similar sentences. Just goes to show how the criminal justice system focuses on money and property more than peoples' lives.

I would be all for tagging the fraudsters, the embarrassment would be far more suitable than prison.

Whilst I'm all for punishing the shoddy workmanship my understanding is there are regular official inspections as well as by the mechanic not sure how this was missed then.

The Drivers are told to ignore faults & drive without tachos (a few have told me this) so its about time we clamped down on this & Servicing.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

If the guys had maintained their vehicle to an acceptable standard and something unexpected broke and killed the people - what is the verdict?
              Accident, In this case it appears only 1 of the 6 brake cylinders was working, I imagine they are like old fashioned brakes and they just gum / rust up, should take 30 minutes to replace one or repair the rubbers.

Comment

The other question is what if the brakes were dodgy but nobody was hurt?

It's always a little sad in these cases that it's only punished if somebody gets killed. Surely the penalty for wrongdoing should be the same regardless of whether or not you're unlucky enough to kill someone?
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

The driver would have been guilty and it would be a driving offence.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    The driver would have been guilty and it would be a driving offence.
                    only if he were driving dangerously.

Comment

Working...
                    X