• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trump's Muslim Ban

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Did you read the link?

Not as offensive as Trump's little EO is it? 5 other US presidents have actually done exactly the same....
    You didn't answer my question.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      Not quite, the list of contries of concern was created, and travellers from those countries were no longer allowed to enter on Visa Waivers. They had to go through the formal Visa process. There was never a blanket ban on entry from those countries and it was still perfectly possible to get a visa as a national of one of those countries.
      I never said there was a blanket ban. I said "used to restrict visas" and linked to the FAQ.

Obama stopped a certain amount of people from that list from getting visas, and Trump has stopped most people on that list from getting a visa.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
        So you're saying that the list used to exclude individuals from the visa waiver program wasn't predicated on the majority religion of it's members' population? But was predicated on it's likelihood to be a hotbed of terrorist infiltration?
        There are only 38 odd countries eligible for the VWP anyway, China for example isn't one. All this did was to change it so that citizens who have either travelled or hold dual citizenship for Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen could no longer use the VWP. These people now had to perform the same visa application as someone from, for example, Poland....
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I never said there was a blanket ban. I said "used to restrict visas" and linked to the FAQ.

Obama stopped a certain amount of people from that list from getting visas, and Trump has stopped most people on that list from getting a visa.
          No, you didn't link to an official FAQ but one from NIA.
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

You didn't answer my question.
            Trump stopped them, Obama just said they were no longer part of VWP but had to apply, big difference

Comment

Trump stopped them, Obama just said they were no longer part of VWP but had to apply, big difference
              You seem strangely evasive. Which part of what I said was the 'alternative fact'?

Comment

No, you didn't link to an official FAQ but one from NIA.
                No, what? I never said nor implied that there was some kind of official FAQ? I posted one. The one I refer to in my post is the one I linked to. Duh.

Your lefty is starting to show.

Comment

You seem strangely evasive. Which part of what I said was the 'alternative fact'?
                  I take it you didn't also read the post which had a comment...

Anyway, I leave everyone with this:

Comment

What about it is an 'alternative fact' ? That Obama created the list of states of particular concern, with regards to security aorund persons arriving from those states, used to restrict visas as per this FAQ?

https://www.niacaction.org/update-fr...ctions-may-12/

Or the part about preventing Iraqi immigration?
                    The alternative fact is your claim that the Obama administration used it to prevent people arriving from Iraq for 6 months. They didn't, they applied additional visa checks on those wanting to travel specifically on Special Immigrant Visas and refugees.

Sorry, Mr. President: The Obama Administration Did Nothing Similar to Your Immigration Ban | Foreign Policy

In the context of the thread your implication is that it was some sort of blanket ban. It wasn't.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I take it you didn't also read the post which had a comment...

Anyway, I leave everyone with this:

I acknowledge your concession.

Comment

Working...
                      X