• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The World's Health Service

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Insurance market doesn't work like that I'm afraid.
    strange I just pay more for Travel Insurance with my health problems as do my much older in Laws & Father.

The insurance covers emergency treatment & repatriation.

https://www.avantitravelinsurance.co...avel-insurance

https://www.confused.com/travel-insu...isting-medical

Pre-existing travel insurance: MoneySavingExpert

Obviously if you are very ill it may cost too much.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      strange I just pay more for Travel Insurance with my health problems as do my much older in Laws & Father.

The insurance covers emergency treatment & repatriation.

https://www.avantitravelinsurance.co...avel-insurance

https://www.confused.com/travel-insu...isting-medical

Pre-existing travel insurance: MoneySavingExpert

Obviously if you are very ill it may cost too much.
      Yes but you decided personally to get insurance that covers your pre-existing conditions.

Lots of people seeing the cost is too expensive like with car insurance, will lie and buy a policy stating they don't have pre-existing conditions to fulfill the visa requirements.

There is absolutely no way you can force someone to disclose all their medical history when buying insurance, and immigration officers won't have the time to verify everyone is covered sufficiently.

So therefore you would have to demand people to go to their doctors, like what foreign sports events still sometimes do, to get a letter to verify their health. Result is you reduce the number of tourists.

It would be far better and easier for the UK to prevent people leaving the country who haven't paid their medical bills like in the US. Plus put a few in prison if they bugger off to say France or Ireland as a warning to others.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Yes but you decided personally to get insurance that covers your pre-existing conditions.

Lots of people seeing the cost is too expensive like with car insurance, will lie and buy a policy stating they don't have pre-existing conditions to fulfill the visa requirements.

There is absolutely no way you can force someone to disclose all their medical history when buying insurance, and immigration officers won't have the time to verify everyone is covered sufficiently.

So therefore you would have to demand people to go to their doctors, like what foreign sports events still sometimes do, to get a letter to verify their health. Result is you reduce the number of tourists.

It would be far better and easier for the UK to prevent people leaving the country who haven't paid their medical bills like in the US. Plus put a few in prison if they bugger off to say France or Ireland as a warning to others.
        No create a Visa grade insurance where the Insurers indemnify against all costs, they will then decide whether to sell it to you. All the government need on the Visa application is the approved Provider & a number verified by the provider. The Insurer is on the hook for costs, how they assess you is the insurers problem.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

No XYZ standard travel insurance = no Visa. May cost a few million but it would mean we are covered against health tourism from those countries and we can profit from visitors who require treatment.
          This.

Insurance from reputable (Lloyds of London) insurer as condition of any visa would have dealt with lots of costs, any honest visitor would be happy to pay that fee and avoid Nazi like interrogation.

Comment

No create a Visa grade insurance where the Insurers indemnify against all costs, they will then decide whether to sell it to you. All the government need on the Visa application is the approved Provider & a number verified by the provider. The Insurer is on the hook for costs, how they assess you is the insurers problem.
            I'm just thinking stories of the UK not allowing people to leave without paying and being shoved in Wormwood scrubs would suddenly make people realise the UK wasn't a soft touch anymore for health tourism or anything else.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
            X