• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Austria to ban full-face veil in public places

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Austria to ban full-face veil in public places

How Luton, er I mean London, don't do this?

Austria's ruling coalition has agreed to prohibit full-face veils in public spaces such as courts and schools.

It is also considering a more general ban on state employees wearing the headscarf and other religious symbols.

The measures are seen as an attempt to counter the rise of the far-right Freedom Party, whose candidate narrowly lost last month's presidential vote.

The centrist coalition nearly collapsed last week amid crisis negotiations over the government's future direction.

'Symbolic' step

Detailing the package of reforms, the coalition devoted just two lines to the planned ban on the Islamic niqab and burqa.

"We are committed to an open society, which also presupposes open communication. A full-face veil in public places stands in its way and will therefore be banned," it said.

An estimated 150 women wear the full niqab in Austria but tourism officials have expressed fears that the measures will also deter visitors from the Gulf.

One government spokesman told an Austrian newspaper that the ban would apply for ski resorts such as Zell am See as much as the centre of Vienna.

The Islamic veil: A debate across Europe
    What's the difference between a hijab, niqab and burka?
    Far-right defeated in Austria vote
    Several European countries have imposed similar bans but the Austrian move is, according to the vice chancellor a "symbolic" step.

Integration Minister Sebastian Kurz said it was important to be seen to be neutral, especially for anyone dealing with the public in the police or schools.

France and Belgium introduced a burqa ban in 2011 and a similar measure is currently going through the Dutch parliament.

Chancellor Angela Merkel said last month that the full-face veil should be prohibited in Germany "wherever it is legally possible". The UK does not ban the niqab or burqa.

Further measures agreed by Austria's Social Democrats and their conservative People's party partners include electronic tagging of former jihadists and a proposed curb on foreign workers.

Many of the plans must be hammered out in detail and receive parliamentary approval before they can come into force, BBC Vienna correspondent Bethany Bell reports.
    Source: Austria to ban full-face veil in public places - BBC News
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

What? And upset the rich Saudis leaving houses to rot?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      What? And upset the rich Saudis leaving houses to devalue and worry the government and banks?
      FTFY - cash before safety for our government by the looks of it.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

They'd better phrase the bill carefully, or brides walking up the aisle for a church wedding will be arrested!
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Austrian German is weird, my Mrs says they speak German like they're all a bit thick.

Tschuss-papa!

On the only recorded piece of Hitler's voice where he's not ranting apparently he sounds like a low-class working man.

Not relevant, just interesting....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            Austrian German is weird, my Mrs says they speak German like they're all a bit thick.

Tschuss-papa!

On the only recorded piece of Hitler's voice where he's not ranting apparently he sounds like a low-class working man.

Brummies then?
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Tschuss-papa!

Ok you've just made Trump more scary.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Tschuss-papa!

I like how a potato is called a 'earth apple'
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  I like how a potato is called a 'earth apple'
                  Pomme de terre in French - same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    How Luton, er I mean London, don't do this?
                    Is it because the UK is tolerant and believes in freedom of expression more than places like France and Austria where the state owns you?

Or because Austria has far more far-right fascists who will vote through this kind of thing, and far less veil-wearers to oppose it?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X