• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Austria to ban full-face veil in public places

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    How Luton, er I mean London, don't do this?

Source: Austria to ban full-face veil in public places - BBC News
    Kind of ironic don't you think, men who think leather shorts are cool telling women what they can and can't wear.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      Is that because they genuinely believe it has any benefits or is it because

1) they are dirt poor and stoopid and know no better
      2) they have been told by the 'insert important religious figure here' that they must
      3) it happened to them so they will inflict it on their children out of spite?

Surely any female who went through that would be 100% against it unless one of the above reasons is try.
      It's a combination of 1)-3) wrapped up in a package marked "culture".

They aren't really aware of the side-effects.
      They believe that without it, no-one will marry them.
      They believe it is a matter of decency.
      They believe "well, it never did me any harm".
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
        one guy had his baseball hat on back to front with dude written on it.
        I completely agree with the banning of caps with the word 'dude' written on them.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          Is that because they genuinely believe it has any benefits or is it because

1) they are dirt poor and stoopid and know no better
          2) they have been told by the 'insert important religious figure here' that they must
          3) it happened to them so they will inflict it on their children out of spite?

Surely any female who went through that would be 100% against it unless one of the above reasons is try.
          The strain of Islam sponsored by the Saudis, which more and more British mosques are coming under, is very anti-women. They also have this sort of conditioning drilled into them at an early age - western dress is bad, etc. so know no different. It's their normal, just like orange faces and white high heels is Essex's normal.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            The most tragic part of this story is that you were walking round the Trafford Centre.
            #keeptrying

Comment

Originally posted by amanwhoisquiet View Post
              I completely agree with the banning of caps with the word 'dude' written on them.
              I agree - I thought Ali-G was just an extreme character but no he was just reflecting our culture, ahead of his time.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                If the burqa or full-face veil is a symbol of female oppression, why does it matter if some women want to wear it and are prevented? Some women support FGM (in fact, without their support it wouldn't be so prevalent).
                what about MGM a.k.a. circumcision? yay or nay

Comment

Interesting reading the comments.

Take our country back! They screamed. Suddenly we're all tolerant of immigrants.

Freedom and liberty of the host country must be observed in my opinion. If those freedoms don't match your expectations you should not be surprised when asked to adopt those of your host. I do the same when I travel being carful to understand the local customs.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Interesting reading the comments.

Take our country back! They screamed. Suddenly we're all tolerant of immigrants.

Freedom and liberty of the host country must be observed in my opinion. If those freedoms don't match your expectations you should not be surprised when asked to adopt those of your host. I do the same when I travel being carful to understand the local customs.
                    You can read?!?!?
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      You can read?!?!?
                      Kanst du lesen auch?
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X