• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Austria to ban full-face veil in public places

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Lefie horsetulip - didnt expect that.

Yep my knowledge of religion is pretty basic, fairy stories, oppression and control.

I think you are right and probably a good time to end my time in this thread.
    I was a bit harsh. You're actually correct - the level of control varies based on the flavour of Islam. A Bengali friend of mine has particular disdain for the Saudi and Pakistani Muslims and their "ultra-conservative bile that is spewed in too many mosques in this country". He's said that the Saudis are responsible for the increase in the veil-wearers in the UK, absolutely convinced of it and can't stand what they're doing. In his opinion, there are too many Muslims in the UK being seduced by the money that Saudis are chucking at mosques over here but the government won't stop it either for fear of further radicalisation or because Saudi are business partners.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
      Probably an argument of their own making.
      Yep - sex abuse cases illustrate this.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Well it's why religion is called the opium of the masses.

Although it was Karl Marx who said that

But I look at it another way.

If i have a crash helmet on I cannot enter many shops as they cannot see my face.

Therefore the reason for not covering my face is a security one.

Therefore no one should be able to cover their face and expect to be able to go into many public places as they are then a security risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
          I agree on that. All type of covers that hide the face or body should be banned.

Yes, call me racist, I don't care.
          No you are just stupid.

Comment

I agree on that. All type of covers that hide the face or body should be banned.

Yes, call me racist, I don't care.
            That makes you a naturist, surely?
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Bollox (like much of the conciliatory stuff you seem to have a compulsion to spout).

The Muslim bin bag over the head thing is all about exclusive male "ownership" of females, to the extent that no other man is even able to look at them.

I'd concede that in hot countries there's also an element of wanting to protect their wives' complexions from the Sun. But even that is for the husbands' benefits, and in temperate climates makes the practice even more ridiculous to maintain.
              There was a BBC4 program a few months ago about the history of the veil. It has been used in all Abrahamic religions over the centuries to control women. The program pointed out women have happily gone along with this because in many cultures and religions when it was fashionable - the more covered you were the richer you were. Then it became a point in each society that if you weren't covered as a woman you were a slave or prostitute.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                No you are just stupid.
                You are projecting.
                You are stupid and also a moron.

Comment

You are projecting.
                  You are stupid and also a moron.
                  All type of covers that hide the face or body should be banned.
                  So you want everyone to walk around in the nude?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    There was a BBC4 program a few months ago about the history of the veil. It has been used in all Abrahamic religions over the centuries to control women. The program pointed out women have happily gone along with this because in many cultures and religions when it was fashionable - the more covered you were the richer you were. Then it became a point in each society that if you weren't covered as a woman you were a slave or prostitute.
                    And therefore it was perfectly acceptable for you to be raped and abused........

Shame they still agree with that sentiment.

Comment

So first of all you say it's disrespectful to our national values for women not to show their faces.

Then you change your mind and say you're actually defending women from oppressive men (ironically regardless of what the women think about the matter).

I think the first one is the honest one, you just don't like them "looking shifty", and are finding other arguments to back up your position?
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X