Austria to ban full-face veil in public places Austria to ban full-face veil in public places - Page 9
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Posts 81 to 90 of 108
  1. #81

    Super poster

    The_Equalizer is NOT a disguised employee

    The_Equalizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Back end of UK PLC
    Posts
    2,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    So first of all you say it's disrespectful to our national values for women not to show their faces.

    Then you change your mind and say you're actually defending women from oppressive men (ironically regardless of what the women think about the matter).

    I think the first one is the honest one, you just don't like them "looking shifty", and are finding other arguments to back up your position?
    So you're happy with women to be dressed as such? Would you fancy you're other half having to dress like this?

  2. #82

    My post count is Majestic

    SueEllen is always on top

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    31,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    So you're happy with women to be dressed as such? Would you fancy you're other half having to dress like this?
    He would avoid moving to Saudi Arabia so she doesn't.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

  3. #83

    Super poster

    The_Equalizer is NOT a disguised employee

    The_Equalizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Back end of UK PLC
    Posts
    2,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    He would avoid moving to Saudi Arabia so she doesn't.
    Or Luton.

  4. #84

    My post count is Majestic

    d000hg - scorchio!

    d000hg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    33,308

    Default

    If they want to dress that way that is fine. If they are forced to by abusive husbands, then it isn't.

    I don't imagine it's black and white one way or the other... if you're raised in that habit (!) then you'd possibly feel exposed without it and therefore being told you're forbidden to go outside without your face on display would be stressful.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

  5. #85

    Banned

    Bee is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    So you want everyone to walk around in the nude?
    Learn how to read English in the context of a debate.
    Go back to school and stop twisting the debates.

  6. #86

    Super poster

    The_Equalizer is NOT a disguised employee

    The_Equalizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Back end of UK PLC
    Posts
    2,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    If they want to dress that way that is fine. If they are forced to by abusive husbands, then it isn't.

    I don't imagine it's black and white one way or the other... if you're raised in that habit (!) then you'd possibly feel exposed without it and therefore being told you're forbidden to go outside without your face on display would be stressful.
    And what can be done if it is?

    It's black and white for me. It doesn't fit with Western liberal values. I wouldn't want my wife or daughter subjected to this nor, I suspect, do you.

  7. #87

    Super poster

    Gibbon is NOT a disguised employee

    Gibbon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    There was a BBC4 program a few months ago about the history of the veil. It has been used in all Abrahamic religions over the centuries to control women. The program pointed out women have happily gone along with this because in many cultures and religions when it was fashionable - the more covered you were the richer you were. Then it became a point in each society that if you weren't covered as a woman you were a slave or prostitute.
    Not just those, Classical democracy loving Athens was the same, rich women were no more than chattels and weren't to be seen outside the house except for festivals and burials. 50 miles away in Sparta, a military oligarchy, women were allowed in public life and teenage girls even exercised naked in public.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

  8. #88

    Double Godlike!

    MrMarkyMark is a fount of knowledge


    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    11,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    If they want to dress that way that is fine. If they are forced to by abusive husbands, then it isn't.

    I don't imagine it's black and white one way or the other... if you're raised in that habit (!) then you'd possibly feel exposed without it and therefore being told you're forbidden to go outside without your face on display would be stressful
    .
    Why did it used to be OK then?

    My family travelled a lot when I was young, I went to international schools etc. in different countries hardly any young Muslims covered their head?

    Now it seems to be the norm, or increasing in popularity, therefore there must be a reason for it

  9. #89

    Banned

    Bee is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Why did it used to be OK then?

    My family travelled a lot when I was young, I went to international schools etc. in different countries hardly any young Muslims covered their head?

    Now it seems to be the norm, or increasing in popularity, therefore there must be a reason for it
    In Portugal, the Muslim dressed like us, except a very small minority. If they are integrated into the society they don't need to show if they are Muslims.

  10. #90

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk has reached the peak. Play again?

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    44,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bee View Post
    In Portugal, the Muslim dressed like us, except a very small minority. If they are integrated into the society they don't need to show if they are Muslims.
    Only 0.6 of your population is Muslim. 65000 people. That situation will change as those numbers increase.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •