• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Austria to ban full-face veil in public places

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    So first of all you say it's disrespectful to our national values for women not to show their faces.

Then you change your mind and say you're actually defending women from oppressive men (ironically regardless of what the women think about the matter).

I think the first one is the honest one, you just don't like them "looking shifty", and are finding other arguments to back up your position?
    So you're happy with women to be dressed as such? Would you fancy you're other half having to dress like this?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
      So you're happy with women to be dressed as such? Would you fancy you're other half having to dress like this?
      He would avoid moving to Saudi Arabia so she doesn't.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        He would avoid moving to Saudi Arabia so she doesn't.
        Or Luton.

Comment

If they want to dress that way that is fine. If they are forced to by abusive husbands, then it isn't.

I don't imagine it's black and white one way or the other... if you're raised in that habit (!) then you'd possibly feel exposed without it and therefore being told you're forbidden to go outside without your face on display would be stressful.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

So you want everyone to walk around in the nude?
            Learn how to read English in the context of a debate.
            Go back to school and stop twisting the debates.

Comment

If they want to dress that way that is fine. If they are forced to by abusive husbands, then it isn't.

I don't imagine it's black and white one way or the other... if you're raised in that habit (!) then you'd possibly feel exposed without it and therefore being told you're forbidden to go outside without your face on display would be stressful.
              And what can be done if it is?

It's black and white for me. It doesn't fit with Western liberal values. I wouldn't want my wife or daughter subjected to this nor, I suspect, do you.

Comment

There was a BBC4 program a few months ago about the history of the veil. It has been used in all Abrahamic religions over the centuries to control women. The program pointed out women have happily gone along with this because in many cultures and religions when it was fashionable - the more covered you were the richer you were. Then it became a point in each society that if you weren't covered as a woman you were a slave or prostitute.
                Not just those, Classical democracy loving Athens was the same, rich women were no more than chattels and weren't to be seen outside the house except for festivals and burials. 50 miles away in Sparta, a military oligarchy, women were allowed in public life and teenage girls even exercised naked in public.
                But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

I don't imagine it's black and white one way or the other... if you're raised in that habit (!) then you'd possibly feel exposed without it and therefore being told you're forbidden to go outside without your face on display would be stressful
                  Why did it used to be OK then?

My family travelled a lot when I was young, I went to international schools etc. in different countries hardly any young Muslims covered their head?

Now it seems to be the norm, or increasing in popularity, therefore there must be a reason for it
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    Why did it used to be OK then?

My family travelled a lot when I was young, I went to international schools etc. in different countries hardly any young Muslims covered their head?

Now it seems to be the norm, or increasing in popularity, therefore there must be a reason for it
                    In Portugal, the Muslim dressed like us, except a very small minority. If they are integrated into the society they don't need to show if they are Muslims.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                      In Portugal, the Muslim dressed like us, except a very small minority. If they are integrated into the society they don't need to show if they are Muslims.
                      Only 0.6 of your population is Muslim. 65000 people. That situation will change as those numbers increase.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X