• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Austria to ban full-face veil in public places

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Why did it used to be OK then?

My family travelled a lot when I was young, I went to international schools etc. in different countries hardly any young Muslims covered their head?

Now it seems to be the norm, or increasing in popularity, therefore there must be a reason for it
    Told you what that lad said, it's the Wahhabis sponsoring our mosques.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Only 0.6 of your population is Muslim. 65000 people. That situation will change as those numbers increase.
      That theory could be valid in some cases, but if we compare the numbers of Muslim in 2008 that was 15000, with 2013 with a total of 50000, was a huge increase but I think they put the veil...etc in the drawer. If they see the others integrated without veil they tend to the same, I think...

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        Well, indeed, logically it cannot have become so wide spread any other way.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
          And what can be done if it is?
          Tricky. But banning veils because some women are forced to wear them by husbands is like banning high heels because some women are forced to dress up my abusive husbands in the west.

It's black and white for me. It doesn't fit with Western liberal values
          Well neither do many of my views and I'm as English as they come. In fact many irreligious views by people here don't fit with liberal values either... the West contains many sub-groups of varying degrees of liberalism, we don't have a single cultural mentality like that. Look at the Methodists or the Quakers or Salvation Army, they're very much part of 'our' cultural heritage.

This whole issue of integration is approached badly in my view. Integration doesn't mean assimilation into some homogeneous cultural mix, it means different cultures living side by side.

I wouldn't want my wife or daughter subjected to this nor, I suspect, do you.
          Again you're taking as read they ARE subjected to it. Are they? I don't know, does anyone? I know lots of women people who due to their conservative Christian beliefs would never wear a bikini or low cut top. Are you going to argue they are wearing high-neck sweaters and ankle-length skirts because their husbands are subjecting them to overly harsh rules? Should they be forced to show their legs and cleavage the way Muslims are forced to show their faces?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Again you're taking as read they ARE subjected to it. Are they? I don't know, does anyone? I know lots of women people who due to their conservative Christian beliefs would never wear a bikini or low cut top. Are you going to argue they are wearing high-neck sweaters and ankle-length skirts because their husbands are subjecting them to overly harsh rules? Should they be forced to show their legs and cleavage the way Muslims are forced to show their faces?
            In years gone by it seemed less necessary to "cover up".

I would suggest that the instruction come from the mosque either via the husbands or the speaker (male) directly.

Otherwise, why are we seeing the change in behavior, maybe its social media also?

Very simple question?
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

banning veils because some women are forced to wear them by husbands is like banning high heels because some women are forced to dress up my abusive husbands in the west.
              Quite agree. Without veils some may not even be allowed to go out at all. This obsession with the Muslim veil is pointless, we need to tackle the real problems, not the harmless symptoms. Eg:

a) We should only allow immigration by those who are aware of and totally accept the main principles and laws of our society and are prepared to integrate.
              b) We should stop encouraging multi-culturalism. It isn't the harmless things, like how people dress, but the rejection of core principles of British society that is a problem. It is negative too when people never mix. Most news is bad news, we need to see the other side of people.
              c) We need strict monitoring of what is taught in schools.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                Otherwise, why are we seeing the change in behavior, maybe its social media also?

Very simple question?
                It's because if you indulge peoples' ridiculous superstitions and/or unwarranted religiosity they naturally accentuate them and play them up beyond any justified extent, to make themselves seem "special".

For example, take that Muslim shop assistant who refused to touch a pork pie (or was it declined to check out someone with alcohol among their goods?). By apologizing for putting her in that "impossible situation", Tescos have simply encouraged thousands of other similar incidents of Muslims just wishing to virtue signal way beyond what their religion demands or reasonably expects.

It's the same as agonising over the supposed hordes of people with back ache and mental health problems and other "vulnerabilities". If they stopped receiving extra money and care, you'd see millions of miraculous recoveries overnight!
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                  Learn how to read English in the context of a debate.
                  Go back to school and stop twisting the debates.
                  Go back to school and learn English. You were told twice your statement meant that people should walk around nude. Gosh you really are stupid.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    So if they're your Mosques then why don't you...oh, I don't know, paint them pink and lime green and hang a couple of disco balls inside

(I actually read that as Wasabis which put up a strange image )
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                      It's because if you indulge peoples' ridiculous superstitions and/or unwarranted religiosity they naturally accentuate them and play them up beyond any justified extent, to make themselves seem "special".

For example, take that Muslim shop assistant who refused to touch a pork pie (or was it declined to check out someone with alcohol among their goods?). By apologizing for putting her in that "impossible situation", Tescos have simply encouraged thousands of other similar incidents of Muslims just wishing to virtue signal way beyond what their religion demands or reasonably expects.

It's the same as agonising over the supposed hordes of people with back ache and mental health problems and other "vulnerabilities". If they stopped receiving extra money and care, you'd see millions of miraculous recoveries overnight!
                      In fact a very devout young Muslim lad I worked with agreed with me when I said something similar.

Make of that what you will
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X