• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Austria to ban full-face veil in public places

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    In years gone by it seemed less necessary to "cover up".

I would suggest that the instruction come from the mosque either via the husbands or the speaker (male) directly.

Otherwise, why are we seeing the change in behavior, maybe its social media also?

Very simple question?
    The media spreading news about countries banning face coverings probably makes more teenage girls and women especially in their early twenties search for religious information online. Then there will be religious study groups both inside and outside Mosques that women only can attend.

Also it's not fair to blame this all on men as some Islamic scholars are women, though the only ones I've heard speak have all had liberal views.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      The media spreading news about countries banning face coverings probably makes more teenage girls and women especially in their early twenties search for religious information online. Then there will be religious study groups both inside and outside Mosques that women only can attend.

Also it's not fair to blame this all on men as some Islamic scholars are women, though the only ones I've heard speak have all had liberal views
      So we are essentially saying in the main, the same thing, they are taught it, regardless of the sex doing the teaching?
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
        So we are essentially saying in the main, the same thing, they are taught it, regardless of the sex doing the teaching?
        Fancy that, the (separate, segregated) classes for women at the mosque are teaching the same as the male classes. Both sponsored by our chief arms buyer so UK government isn't going to intervene.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Go back to school and learn English. Was told me twice that my statements are twisting the debates. Gosh, I'm really a stupid racist.
          FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
            How on earth has FGM become such a problem in the UK?

It's a problem in all the countries they migrated. If they can't do an FGM in the hospitals they do it at home.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Tricky. But banning veils because some women are forced to wear them by husbands is like banning high heels because some women are forced to dress up my abusive husbands in the west.

Well neither do many of my views and I'm as English as they come. In fact many irreligious views by people here don't fit with liberal values either... the West contains many sub-groups of varying degrees of liberalism, we don't have a single cultural mentality like that. Look at the Methodists or the Quakers or Salvation Army, they're very much part of 'our' cultural heritage.

This whole issue of integration is approached badly in my view. Integration doesn't mean assimilation into some homogeneous cultural mix, it means different cultures living side by side.

Again you're taking as read they ARE subjected to it. Are they? I don't know, does anyone? I know lots of women people who due to their conservative Christian beliefs would never wear a bikini or low cut top. Are you going to argue they are wearing high-neck sweaters and ankle-length skirts because their husbands are subjecting them to overly harsh rules? Should they be forced to show their legs and cleavage the way Muslims are forced to show their faces?

Taking your example about the bikini. In the past, we spend decades fighting moral nonsense that at the time was "fashion". Do you really believe that the Muslim women want's to be covered because of fashion or another excuse? I don't. If they have an opportunity of not wearing they opt for not wearing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                Taking your example about the bikini. In the past, we spend decades fighting moral nonsense that at the time was "fashion". Do you really believe that the Muslim women want's to be covered because of fashion or another excuse? I don't. If they have an opportunity of not wearing they opt for not wearing.
                Yeah because you know all Muslim women
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Yeah because you know all Muslim women
                  Guessing they are the same as the rest of the non muslim women.

Comment

Working...
                  X