Hmm Chlorinated chicken anyone ? Hmm Chlorinated chicken anyone ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 28
  1. #11

    Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

    northernladyuk is a fount of knowledge

    northernladyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Working the streets of your imagination
    Posts
    9,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    GM covers a huge range. The anti-GM sentiment of the general public is based upon fear and ignorance.

    Here's some good GM, that saves life: The Golden Rice Project

    Chlorinated chicken/acid washed pork? If the abattoirs are up to standard, are there other reasons these should be banned?

    Antibiotics, hormones, additives, pesticides and mad-cow disease practices are more problematic.
    In general I see no problem with GM. It goes wrong in two ways IMO:

    - Firstly, when it removes the control of seeds from farmers and their cooperative organisations and puts it into the grasp of multinational corporations
    - Secondly, some of the weird experimental tulip, like when they combined the genetic code of a sea cucumber with a Scotsman to see if the result would be capable of holding down an IT contracting career in Devon. Very sad to see.
    Last edited by northernladyuk; 1st February 2017 at 12:50.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

  2. #12

    Godlike

    Mordac is a fount of knowledge

    Mordac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Civilisation-ish
    Posts
    8,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenlake View Post
    So true....

    At least the genetically modified trout is obeying the smoking ban.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

  3. #13

    Super poster

    The_Equalizer is NOT a disguised employee

    The_Equalizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Back end of UK PLC
    Posts
    2,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordac View Post
    At least the genetically modified trout is obeying the smoking ban.
    That's not a trout, it's a chicken!

  4. #14

    My post count is Majestic

    vetran is always on top

    vetran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Come Friendly Bombs
    Posts
    31,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    That's not a trout, it's a Tricken!
    FTFY
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

  5. #15

    Contractor Among Contractors

    sal 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    GM covers a huge range. The anti-GM sentiment of the general public is based upon fear and ignorance.

    Here's some good GM, that saves life: The Golden Rice Project

    Chlorinated chicken/acid washed pork? If the abattoirs are up to standard, are there other reasons these should be banned?

    Antibiotics, hormones, additives, pesticides and mad-cow disease practices are more problematic.
    Blanket ban on GM > than relying on some bureaucrat to differentiate between "good" and "bad" GM. If you believe the huge US corporations are pushing GMs to feed the world's hungry, rather than for increased profits at all cost you have to get off the kool aid

    abattoirs are going for the path of least resistance/cost - if they can use chlorine/acid instead of expensive building/equipment - they will do it.

  6. #16

    Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

    northernladyuk is a fount of knowledge

    northernladyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Working the streets of your imagination
    Posts
    9,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    Blanket ban on GM > than relying on some bureaucrat to differentiate between "good" and "bad" GM.
    How about we rely on scientists rather than bureacrats. Deal

    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    If you believe the huge US corporations are pushing GMs to feed the world's hungry, rather than for increased profits at all cost you have to get off the kool aid
    If you believe farmers are grwoing food to feed the world's hungry, rather than for increased profits at all cost you have to get off the kool aid (and presumably grwo your own food because your motive will be pure).
    Where there's muck there's brass.

  7. #17

    Godlike

    Paddy is a fount of knowledge

    Paddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    9,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladyuk View Post
    In general I see no problem with GM. It goes wrong in two ways IMO:

    - Firstly, when it removes the control of seeds from farmers and their cooperative organisations and puts it into the grasp of multinational corporations
    - Secondly, some of the weird experimental tulip, like when they combined the genetic code of a sea cucumber with a Scotsman to see if the result would be capable of holding down an IT contracting career in Devon. Very sad to see.[/LIST]
    The goats with spider genes and silk in their milk
    Prof Randy Lewis shows Adam Rutherford genetically modified goats at a farm at Utah State University, US, which produce large quantities of a spider silk that is among the strongest substances known to man.
    The transplanted gene means the goat produce milk containing an extra protein, which is extracted and spun into spider silk thread
    The goats with spider genes and silk in their milk - BBC News
    Brexiteers remind me of religious fanatics, only faith, no facts.

  8. #18

    More fingers than teeth

    OwlHoot - scorchio!

    OwlHoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by milanbenes View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ules?CMP=fb_gu

    Anyone for chlorinated chicken and gm foods ?

    Post Brexit you can have as much as you can eat

    Milan
    If you keep letting the population increase then sooner or later food quality takes a dive, assuming there's even enough of the stuff.

    This country is now only 40% self-sufficient in essential foods, and that percentage is falling all the time.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

  9. #19

    Super poster

    The_Equalizer is NOT a disguised employee

    The_Equalizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Back end of UK PLC
    Posts
    2,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OwlHoot View Post
    If you keep letting the population increase then sooner or later food quality takes a dive, assuming there's even enough of the stuff.

    This country is now only 40% self-sufficient in essential foods, and that percentage is falling all the time.
    If we accepted cannibalism it might just rise to 50%, or would that be 100%?

  10. #20

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere is always on top

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    20,967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladyuk View Post
    In general I see no problem with GM. It goes wrong in two ways IMO:

    - Firstly, when it removes the control of seeds from farmers and their cooperative organisations and puts it into the grasp of multinational corporations
    Entirely true.
    - Secondly, some of the weird experimental tulip, like when they combined the genetic code of a sea cucumber with a Scotsman to see if the result would be capable of holding down an IT contracting career in Devon. Very sad to see.


    And here we have a spreader of the aforementioned fear and ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    Blanket ban on GM > than relying on some bureaucrat to differentiate between "good" and "bad" GM. If you believe the huge US corporations are pushing GMs to feed the world's hungry, rather than for increased profits at all cost you have to get off the kool aid
    Logical fallacy: non-sequitur. Why? From the proposition that "corporations push their GMOs for commercial advantage" it does not follow that "GMOs are bad."

    Under your logic, the product of any company that indulges in bad practice and is driven by the profit motive should be banned, and we should also immediately ban all food additives because whether they're good or bad depends on the ability of "some bureaucrat to differentiate between "good" and "bad"" additives.
    Hmm. I'm beginning to suspect that you need to find all the packing the computer came in...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •