• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

India freaks out over U.S. plans to change high-skilled visas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    I read somewhere that it was partly due to Brits were happy to retire when the made the first ten million where as the culture in the US was to aim for the first billion.
    Correct. The Brit is happy with a matching set of golf clubs; the Yank doesn't care that they don't all have swimming pools though.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
      Comparex? Thought they were just a reseller. They've sold a few licenses of my software for me. They didn't strike me as an innovative, class defining company. I'd lump them in with Insight and SHI.

What my point was though is that if you look through the "Ages Of Computing" you will find that it is completely dominated by US Corporations. This is hardly a revolutionary insight.

The PC manufacturers, the likes of IBM, Dell and Apple. The "First Generation" of PC Software companies - companies like Microsoft, Oracle, Adobe, the first generation of internet companies - Google, Amazon, Yahoo. The next generation of internet companies, AirBnB, Uber. The major chip makers - AMD, Intel, Nvidia.

For the last 50 years it's all started in Silicon Valley. Not in London, Paris or Berlin.

Who's currently winning the battle of the cloud? Is it Amazon, Microsoft or Google? Which European ( inc. UK ) company has established a global network of data centres that could seriously challenge one of those 3? Which European company would have the global recognition to reach out to the millions of corporations across the planet and supply them with their basic IT requirements?

So whilst we should lament that in the UK we have not created as many class-defining companies in the IT space as we could have this is not a unique failing of the British.

There is a vibrant IT industry in the UK and in Europe, with small niche software providers, doing good work, providing good jobs but the lion's share is dominated by the US. They are doing all the running.

And that's either because of American Exceptionalism or collective Western-European failure.
      USA was awash with cash in the 70's Dunno where Europe was at the time. but possibly still digging it self out of WWII debt?
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
        That's how I got into IT.

Did a government sponsored M.Sc. conversion course under the ET programme (ET=Employment Training, though we thought it was Extra Tenner on top of your dole). You know the one, where you had to have been unemployed for at least 6 months.
        <snip>.
        Did the same but was silly enough to do an MSc in Manufacturing Systems Engineering just as manufacturing fizzled away to nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyWire View Post
          Did the same but was silly enough to do an MSc in Manufacturing Systems Engineering just as manufacturing fizzled away to nothing.
          You were suppose to emigrate to Germany where you would have been doing dodgy things to cars.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

So free trade with the EU is about to be scrapped, the US will scrap free trade with everyone else and we shouldn't trade with the fastest growing economy in the world
            Can we implement a 3 strikes and you're out rule?

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              Correct. The Brit is happy with a matching set of golf clubs; the Yank doesn't care that they don't all have swimming pools though.
              Might also be something to do with scale. Lots of big tech companies in the US looking to put their cash somewhere. In the UK you have a business friendly environment that speaks English with lots of companies that will help you with a buy out.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                You were suppose to emigrate to Germany where you would have been doing dodgy things in cars.
                FTFY
                "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                X