• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this the Third World?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    That's mental. We are buying somewhere initially as cash buyers but then switched to mortgage. Our advisor told us that the mortgage is never the slowest part of the process so it makes no difference.

What if you're a cash buyer who wants a search? Or you do as we do and get the purchase agreed then get a mortgage once things are in motion?

How are you supposed to get insurance if you haven't had searches performed in a known 'danger area'? Or later get a mortgage for that matter?
    Normally you can speed up the process by using a private agency to do the search.

In the cases of this particular council, they won't allow it so you join the queue which is currently 17 weeks long.

If you are a cash buyer you can get the search indemnity to cover you for any loss of value incurred by something that would have been revealed by the search.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
      Hang on a sec, you are in your fifties, unable to clear interviews and got suicidal tendencies, are you sure its the right time to buy a house ?
      Divorce mate. Still got enough for a nice pad in Spain though ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
        Normally you can speed up the process by using a private agency to do the search.

In the cases of this particular council, they won't allow it so you join the queue which is currently 17 weeks long.

If you are a cash buyer you can get the search indemnity to cover you for any loss of value incurred by something that would have been revealed by the search.
        It's probably so they can do a full check on you to make sure you a not a darkie, or a pikey or something.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          It's probably so they can do a full check on you to make sure you a not a darkie, or a pikey or something.
          It would save the local Morris Dancers on their make up bill.

Comment

That's mental. We are buying somewhere initially as cash buyers but then switched to mortgage. Our advisor told us that the mortgage is never the slowest part of the process so it makes no difference.

What if you're a cash buyer who wants a search? Or you do as we do and get the purchase agreed then get a mortgage once things are in motion?

How are you supposed to get insurance if you haven't had searches performed in a known 'danger area'? Or later get a mortgage for that matter?
            The last property I bought for cash took two days to complete. It's mortgages that take the extra time. Searches are not required for insurance because insurance companies have their own information. Searches on some properties have been misleading. For example one search came back with a warning of a scrap yard in the same road when in fact it was a firm of solicitors having multiple accommodation addresses for limited companies. Another search showed a flood risk even though the property was on a hill. The so called flood risk was to a nearby railway cutting 200 feet below.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              The last property I bought for cash took two days to complete. It's mortgages that take the extra time.
              You can get a mortgage sorted in a week or two, which is far quicker than most solicitors will do anything You still have to check the seller owns the property and so on surely? Both your and the seller's solicitors must've been very on the ball. Or you bought in a different country... I believe in some EU nations I can buy a house same-day.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

You can get a mortgage sorted in a week or two, which is far quicker than most solicitors will do anything You still have to check the seller owns the property and so on surely? Both your and the seller's solicitors must've been very on the ball. Or you bought in a different country... I believe in some EU nations I can buy a house same-day.
                This is where it all went wrong for me.

The day before completion, my solicitor told me that a portion of the house was showing as unadopted on the Land Registry. The vendors would have to prove they were the owners by producing their deeds. They couldn't find them...

So, I broke the chain - completed on the sale and moved into the property I was to purchase on a month's holiday let while they got their paperwork in order.

They never did. Parts of the house and garden were bought from church and local landowners in a piecemeal fashion over the past 50 years with no supporting documentation.

I'm still in there surrounded by boxes 3 months later. I've pulled out of the purchase & urgently need to find a new home. Doesn't help that the vendors are next door & it's WW3 between me and them.

Of course, the question that springs to mind is why didn't any of this comes to light in the preceding 3 months after I'd made the offer....
                Last edited by Big Blue Plymouth; 1 February 2017, 10:17.

Comment

Parts of the house and garden were bought from church and local landowners in a piecemeal fashion over the past 50 years with no supporting documentation.
                  I can believe that they are hacked off with you. But you have every right to be equally hacked off with them.

I don't think it's unreasonable to be to want to know that the property you are buying actually belongs to them.

Just think how stressful it would be if you purchased and then six months later someone emerges from the shadows claiming to own your garden?

I had a situation where I bought a flat that had a converted attic bedroom - the vendor could not prove that it had been converted to the appropriate standard ( it had been done 15 years earlier ) and so the room was declared "void" ( not the real term, cannot remember what it was ) and the price of the bedroom removed from the sale price ( which dropped it around 15% ).

I managed to get the requisite paperwork in place when I sold ... but it was a royal pain in the ass. An experience I would personally never repeat.

So you could use it as a negotiating tactic. I.E You are only prepared to pay for what they can legally sell.

It's their problem. They need to sort it out. No wonder they only want "Cash Buyers" .... sounds like they've hit this particular problem before.

Comment

This is where it all went wrong for me.

The day before completion, my solicitor told me that a portion of the house was showing as unadopted on the Land Registry. The vendors would have to prove they were the owners by producing their deeds. They couldn't find them...

So, I broke the chain - completed on the sale and moved into the property I was to purchase on a month's holiday let while they got their paperwork in order.

They never did. Parts of the house and garden were bought from church and local landowners in a piecemeal fashion over the past 50 years with no supporting documentation.

I'm still in there surrounded by boxes 3 months later. I've pulled out of the purchase & urgently need to find a new home. Doesn't help that the vendors are next door & it's WW3 between me and them.

Of course, the question that springs to mind is why didn't any of this comes to light in the preceding 3 months after I'd made the offer....
                    It's their own naivety surely, that they thought they could sell land without proving they owned it? They're going to have to go through this whoever buys the property.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      Heading west instead of east but I'm keeping my eye open for something in a few years. This looks lovely....

3 bedroom detached house for sale in Halwyn Road, Crantock, Newquay, TR8
                      "The heating is electric ..."

(thinking of your eleccy bills)

((although I suppose you could always switch to oil or gas))
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X