• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loving the new World Order

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think we're due the Bank of Englands economic forecast today.

I'm sure it will be revised up. This will be accompanied along with the phrase "In spite of BREXIT" and a warning that it may fall in the future because of uncertainty.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
      Think we're due the Bank of Englands economic forecast today.

I'm sure it will be revised up. This will be accompanied along with the phrase "In spite of BREXIT" and a warning that it may fall in the future because of uncertainty.
      3 points.

1. QE was restarted in June
      2. At the same time the interest rate was cut from 0.5 to 0.25
      3. Brexit hasn't happened yet.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        3 points.

1. QE was restarted in June
        2. At the same time the interest rate was cut from 0.5 to 0.25
        3. Brexit hasn't happened yet.

So your point is is that a sovereign government can take actions to help an economy?

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Many banks were "right-sizing" their bloated London centres before Brexit was even mentioned. Top men brought in cannot increase revenue so have to hack away at costs to drive up profits/pay for fines.
          Rightsizing means moving or reducing staff in some areas and expanding in others. The key to economic success is not to prevent jobs disappearing but generate more jobs than are lost.

Goldman Sachs cancels plans to move jobs to Britain

Jobs that wouldn't have been lost will now be lost as the banks move their operations.
          Last edited by BlasterBates; 2 February 2017, 11:23.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            Rightsizing means moving or reducing staff in some areas and expanding in others. The key to economic success is not to prevent jobs disappearing but generate more jobs than are lost.

Goldman Sachs cancels plans to move jobs to Britain

Jobs that wouldn't have been lost will now be lost as the banks move their operations.
            I think you'll find that companies are using Brexit (that hasn't happened yet) as an excuse to not spend money. It means that decisions can be hidden by Brexit instead of actually being in light of bad results (which again are the fault of the referendum).
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I think you'll find that companies are using Brexit (that hasn't happened yet) as an excuse to not spend money. It means that decisions can be hidden by Brexit instead of actually being in light of bad results (which again are the fault of the referendum).
              So how is a decision not to bring staff over to the UK and actually move staff to the US not related to Brexit?

The "rightsizing" decision here was to consolidate into the UK, meaning jobs and that has now been changed resulting a net loss of jobs.

Companies have been "rightsizing" since the 1980's. It's not an explanation of job losses.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                So how is a decision not to bring staff over to the UK and actually move staff to the US not related to Brexit?

The "rightsizing" decision here was to consolidate into the UK, meaning jobs and that has now been changed resulting a net loss of jobs.

Companies have been "rightsizing" since the 1980's. It's not an explanation of job losses.
                Right-sizing is a newspaper-friendly term for offshoring. "We're rightsizing our London base" sounds much better than "We're replacing 2000 UK employees with Indians in Pune".
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Right-sizing is a newspaper-friendly term for offshoring. "We're rightsizing our London base" sounds much better than "We're replacing 2000 UK employees with Indians in Pune".
                  The FT was not referring to "Tape Changers" desperately hanging on to their outdated skills, it referred to highly qualified investment bankers, whose jobs will be either moving to New York, Frankfurt or Paris.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Goldman Sachs warns British government

I've no doubt that the government will take a pigheaded attitude to the banks argung they would have left anyway

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      Interesting you wish a collapse of an organisation that has brought about and maintained peace in Europe. Probably the most peaceful continent on the planet.

We really are a twisted little war mongering species aren't we?
                      That would be NATO, and it's staying put. HTHBIDI.
                      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                      X