• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I let my daughter go on a school trip

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Dubai is safe enough, plenty of things to see, but a cultural wasteland.
    I found it quite dull after a couple of days.
    For a kid though, they'll really appreciate the difference.
    It's a no brainer, let her go.
    Wow, it must be dull then, given you could bore the hind legs off a donkey.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

...absolutely go go go
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
        Just as well, as no one is inviting you, you boring sockie chunt
        You do have nothing much to say on these forums apart from throwing random insults at others, isn't it?
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
          You do have nothing much to say on these forums apart from throwing random insults at others, isn't it?

Hardly random, directed at one of the dullest bell ends on the forum.

Your English is terrible, where did you learn it Bangalore?

So richly deserved
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            So serious question.

Daughters school re organising a trip to Dubai for the netball team.

Missus is very against her going due to popular media representations of how women are treated in Dubai.

Does she have a point or not?

I have done some research and seems there is a thriving netball club scene over there so.....

Anyone get anything sensible to offer?
            Do some proper research rather than the press.

Dubai Netball League - Social and competitive netball in Dubai, UAE

I'm sure the girls will receive cultural guidance on how to dress away from the netball matches.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
              Dunno about random. That one did appear pretty target and direct.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                I guess you've never been to Dubai? It's a fantastic place. Some many of the 'biggest in the world' things to see. It's quite eye popping. They are working towards tourism being the biggest draw for when the oil runs out so the are very accommodating of the western culture. All you have to do is be respectful and keep to some fairly simple rules. Learning about those rules is all part of the learning the culture out there even if you don't strictly follow it. Just reading the guides on what not to do, respectful dressing is all part of the learning. A properly organised group shouldn't encounter any problems IMO.

Thinking about it more since I replied I would certainly be writing a stern letter to the school whatever your final decision is. For the points you've made about their age and mentality and the cost etc you just don't need to go to Dubai. It smacks of someone being selfish and going for their own reasons.

I'm glad I'm just giving my thoughts and not being in your shoes not having to make a decision so easy for me to say but I'd still say let her go.

How will the cost compare to this Leeds school taking 10 year olds to Barbados?

Julia Hartley-Brewer's outrage as school plans £1,650 sports trip to Barbados | Daily Mail Online
                Cost is going to be about £1650 so comparable

And also me n the missus had that conversation re the teacher just wanting a jolly.

Also while money is not the issue in that we have plenty - we do not like to be frivolous - for example we are doing a bit of Eurocamp this summer - and it is going to cost about the same as that.

Cheers everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Dunno about random. That one did appear pretty target and direct.
                  I think he's confusing random with targeted yet indiscriminate.

Comment

Dubai on the face of it is quite enlightened. Underneath its Male Emirates then the rest (a long way behind with Rich white Europeans in the middle).

However thousands of expats live there in peace with few restrictions. My Sister in law & Brother in law lived there for years with teenage children. Friends did similar.

No Alchohol. You can consume in hotels or in registered private homes but don't appear drunk.
                    No Public Affection.
                    No Sex unless married.
                    No Dissent or upsetting Emirates.

They are very keen to appear civilised as their future wealth is based on Tourism & Trade.

The city is incredible & changes every day, get her to watch some of the time lapse stuff showing Dubai beng built.

She will absolutely love it and it will be an incredible experience.

Don't just believe us check the Foreign office etc advice.

If your wife were talking about Tunisia or Turkey then you might have a point. In both places I had to uncoil and explain that my Daughters aren't to be treated like that. That was 10 days in each. We have spent Months in Dubai with nothing more unpleasant than the driving. My wife used to pop out there regularly to visit her sister and felt perfectly safe.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

£1650! Holy molly! That's a lot for a trip!

Irrespective, I would still send her. I have 4 daughters and spent time in the middle east and not a big fan of their policy towards women but unless you're out drinking at night in Dubai it won't be a problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X