• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I let my daughter go on a school trip

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From what I've heard there are no issues as long as you abide by the rules. Some friends of mine were arrested for drinking water in public during Ramadan. If you respect the local customs all should be well, but the school should be reminding the pupils of that regularly.

Comment

As a school trip I can't see problems as long as it's well-managed. Dubai is built on a foundation of injustice and exploitation and you DO NOT want to upset them but it is also very tourist-friendly and an eye-opener. It's a bit like Vegas... fascinating and worth going but you wouldn't want to necessarily spend long there.

I say go for it.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        No Alchohol. You can consume in hotels or in registered private homes but don't appear drunk.
        No Public Affection.
        No Sex unless married.
        No Dissent or upsetting Emirates.
        But we're talking about 14 year old schoolgirls here, on a school trip.

This stuff happens.
        Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
          But we're talking about 14 year old schoolgirls here, on a school trip.

This stuff happens.

You're confusing Dubai with Rochdale HTHBIDI
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I would tell her everything you said....

Your Daughter may see that she lives in a (mostly) tolerant society
            Your Wife may learn that popular media representations are not necessarily true
            The kids she interacts with may see that there are different ways to live
            All percipients may learn the world is a varied place & that there is no one true way.
            Schools are paranoid on kids safety (rightly so) & will only be taking them to reputable places.
            Have a chat with your kid & say it’s a different culture, be sensible, but learn.

but don't let her go.

You do want her to come back don't you ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              She does want to go - and is getting quite upset that we have not said yes.

I understand about the culture - however will she really get any real culture out their as I am not sure a 14 year old white girl in a gym kit is going to be allowed to wander the streets.

And while they need to be careful the missus' concern - a simple mistake such as not putting on the right clothing when leaving the hotel (anyone with kids will know how giddy they get) could lead to serious consequences - or maybe not?

So my concern is that they will see very little and just be locked in 'western enclaves' and never actually experience the culture.

And as NLUK says why go so far for that - surely a trip to Germany/Italy/France/Holland who all have thriving netball leagues would be a better option.

Or is this all just small town England paranoia?
              It is perfectly understandable parental paranoia. If your daughter is sensible enough to observe the local sensitivities, why not let her go. She'll almost certainly love it, and you'll wonder months from now what all the fuss was about.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Be honest with your daughter.

Tell her it's a backward country that treats women like crap but it's one of the better ones in that region.

It's running out of its source of money, so is trying to be friendly to tourists to get their money. But they dislike our customs and way of life.

If you break a local law that might seem faintly ridiculous or even funny to her it could land her in real trouble.

Stick with groups, lone girls/women will get harassed - they are not used to it.

Don't wear anything revealing, you will offend their sensitive little hearts and then get harassed.

She will love it and if she ends up in prison for being drunk in public, you can tell her you told her so in a really smug way that you like.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                  Be honest with your daughter.

Tell her it's a backward country that treats women like crap but it's one of the better ones in that region.

It's running out of its source of money, so is trying to be friendly to tourists to get their money. But they dislike our customs and way of life.

If you break a local law that might seem faintly ridiculous or even funny to her it could land her in real trouble.

Stick with groups, lone girls/women will get harassed - they are not used to it.

Don't wear anything revealing, you will offend their sensitive little hearts and then get harassed.

She will love it and if she ends up in prison for being drunk in public, you can tell her you told her so in a really smug way that you like.
                  I'd hazard a guess that the only view most teenagers have of Dubai is that <insert celebrity name> goes on holiday there and it looks cool due to endless articles in the teen media.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

ask the experts

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...-arab-emirates

note the drugs cover perscription stuff as well. So if she is taking an opiate she could be in trouble.

Dubai travel advice for women - Lonely Planet

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUs..._of_Dubai.html
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It's fine until something goes wrong.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...tal-sex-charge

Comment

Working...
                      X