• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bit of a technical question but opinion is great

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    If in doubt, code in vague complexities that only you understand and then don't document them or even comment the code, other than that you built it and your email address so that you'll get repeat business.
    Must be similar to the guy that managed to last 25 years contracting here.

A totally gilt edged job.

I believe they managed to get him out and 2 months later he was back
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

What's the source of your copy of data and what's the target?

What is the master of the data going to be?

Unless you have a mechanism to align changes made in any system then there isn't a lot of point doing the work at all.

The registry approach is OK but I always prefer a master hub single maintenance approach if possible. Lock down any functionality that allows changes elsewhere.

Whichever you go for, you're doomed.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post

Unless you have a mechanism to align changes made in any system then there isn't a lot of point doing the work at all.

The registry approach is OK but I always prefer a master hub single maintenance approach if possible. Lock down any functionality that allows changes elsewhere.

Big picture thinking? YMMS

Think only about the bit of work that you've been brought in for. It leads to disjointed development and allows you to upsell at a later date.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Big picture thinking? YMMS

Think only about the bit of work that you've been brought in for. It leads to disjointed development and allows you to upsell at a later date.
          Good point, well made.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post

did all of that when I migrated the world off Dynamics. We pressed a button & waited normally chatting & drinking tea with the PM. Migration was done on a Friday night.

This system however is not mine. Fewer users, fewer opportunities & customers and its taken 6 people so far.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              did all of that when I migrated the world off Dynamics. We pressed a button & waited normally chatting & drinking tea with the PM. Migration was done on a Friday night.

This system however is not mine. Fewer users, fewer opportunities & customers and its taken 6 people so far.
              Ah, well that's different. You'll need to do the job properly. Shame.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
              X