• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hospital

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
    I totally agree, and a cynical side of me wonders whether this woman, knowing this was her last chance before being returned to Nigeria, somehow harmed herself on the flight to LHR.
    If you have a multiple pregnancy there is a chance you will deliver early, and I think the chance goes up the more foetuses you have. I doubt she wanted to give birth in the UK or Ireland as unlike the US there is no chance that the kids will become citizens.

But it's not as simple as saying no treatment without insurance or payment. Sometimes you have no choice.
    True.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      So you've not seen the appeals from British people in the newspaper asking for funds so their son/daughter/father/other relative who was too stupid to take out travel insurance has not been allowed to leave the US due to their hospital bills?
      No. I respectfully call BS.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        That is not necessarily true.
        no its not but its a reasonable starting point. If you can prove you aren't then fine.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

We can't not treat some of these cases, but how do we recoup the money for the treatment they should be paying for?
          The answer to your question is at the start of the sentence, with the word "can't" removed.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
            Apparently you can.
            well the US declined.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              no its not but its a reasonable starting point. If you can prove you aren't then fine.
              You could have entered the country form Ireland in which case you should have an EHIC card. There is a perfectly sensible way forward to address one part of this which is to follow the Irish approach currently being implemented - the public services card. It is base around the PPSN, similar to NI but issued at birth.

It is not an ID card - nobody has to carry it, but it demonstrates entitlement to public services. I guess it is cheatable in that you could leave the country, so no longer be entitled, but keep the card.

EEA residents (for now) would need an EHIC card. Residents from other countries with reciprocal agreements would need an agreed way of identifying theie entitlement.

Non-EEA country-by-country guide - Healthcare abroad - NHS Choices

Then there are the people who are not entitled. Demonstrating health insurance on entry to UK or Ireland would be a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Emergency treatment = NI number / Proof of UK ID or passport. If you can't supply those then you are an illegal & need to be detained.
                I have a UK passport and so do around 3 million other British people who live abroad and don't pay NI contributions so I don't think that would work...
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  The answer to your question is at the start of the sentence, with the word "can't" removed.
                  So what would we do with this woman, about to drop a number of babies, in the transit area at LHR? Usher her on to the next plane out before she starts to make a mess on the floor? No Captain would allow her on his plane.

It's just not that simple. Much as I think we should be really strict on abuses of the system, and I don't know whether this was an abuse or not, sometimes you have to act regardless. We aren't savages.

Comment

If the treatment is free to everyone (e.g. A&E), then there is no charge.

If it is chargeable but urgent, then the NHS provider is in the world of international debt recovery.

If it is chargeable but non-urgent, then it should be paid in advance.

Fascinating read here: http://www.gov.uk/government/uploads...rging_accs.pdf

It is a real problem. Didn't see the programme. Did it focus entirely on foreign overseas visitors or did it also pick up on the very real issue of UK citizens living abroad (e.g. pensioners in Spain) flying back for treatment they are not entitled to as non-residents?

Pensioners lived their working life in UK and paid enough NI, so why should treatment on NHS be refused?
                    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Demonstrating health insurance on entry to UK or Ireland would be a good idea.
                      And if you let it lapse while you're here, then need emergency treatment?

Comment

Working...
                      X