• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"I see you've spent some time at X, who was your line manager there?"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Like it. I may suggest Wayne Kerr for the next one.
    Juan King

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
      Unfortunately, you have missed a trick. I like to use a foreign sounding made-up name that sounds, phonentically, like something a bit naughty!

Like these guys did!
      Ah, the prank airport announcements.

These date back to the Chris Morris Radio Show in 1994, and were in the early days of the internet circulated around as sound files in a Microsoft Word document.
      Last edited by GJABS; 5 February 2017, 13:47.

Comment

Droid "So I place a lot of people at $currentclient, could I ask who your line manager is? I might know him already..."
        Me "Do you know Yuri"
        Droid "Yeah I've heard of a couple of Yuris at $currentclient... Which one?"
        Me "oh, Nator".
        Droid "Yuri Nator?"
        Me "Yep."
        Droid "Yes, I know him. Small world."

One hopes his next call was to the switchboard, touting for business, asking for Yuri Nator.
        Taking a break from contracting

Comment

"Line Manager", as a contractor ??

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
            Actually... I was a permie at the time.

I had been bitten by the previous droid who managed to get the actual name of my line manager, who he did actually know, and he did actually call him and tell him that I was sniffing around for a contracting role so maybe he'd like to look at more staff. Haven't fallen for that trick.

Fortunately, $employer had announced a(nother) re-org a couple of days prior, so said line manager understood exactly what was going on so it actually wasn't awkward at all.
            Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
              Exactly.

NLUK will be proud of you

Comment

Working...
              X