• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What are you doing this weekend?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bee View Post
    You don't want to share with us where?
    It's not in Portugal.. HTH.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'm going to Alentejo to do some gardening and check my bantams. Hopefully, 10 cute chicks shall be born on Saturday.

Comment

The cat's away from tomorrow for the whole of next week , so this particular mouse will be doing whatever the hell he pleases. Including watching rugby and drinking beer.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          It's not in Portugal.. HTH.
          ... and so what!!! I'm not the only member here!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            ... working out what needs doing to get the garage boarded out internally to make it more habitable for using the turbo trainer etc.
            Snap!

I have a large function room, about 100 feet by 40 feet, and having grubbed up the mouldy old wooden floor boards that had been there 50 years or more, I found the floor beneath comprises a sequence of parallel miniature leveling walls, about 18 inches apart, filled in with hard core mixed with a small amount of cement. You can practically shovel up the stones, it's all so loose and grotty (maybe done when cement was rationed?)

The correct way to redo this floor is to excavate the whole lot to a depth of a foot, then lay hardcore, concrete, sellotex, more concrete, etc. But I was quoted £15K for all this. So for now I plan to just clear out all the hardcore from between the piers, then place sellotex strips along the top of these and lay 15mm plywood sheets over the whole lot. That'll hopefully be good for several years anyway.

So, as they say on Time Team, I'll be opening trench 2 this weekend (*).

(*) But unlike them, I work away from home during the week and thus have only two days instead of three!
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
              Is your concrete floor sealed? A guy here has major condensation issues with his garage.

Does it sound like I know what I'm talking about? (I don't).
              Nope, nor is it insulated, and when the weather is really bad water comes in under the garage door

The plan is to seal the floor, paint it with one of those plasticised floor paints and put rubber matting down on top of that. Seal around the main door and put a stud wall across behind it and board out the rest with damp proof insulation. Replace the current wooden door and windows with uPVC units and fit a heater and extractor fan to try and avoid condensation.

The electrics all need rewiring as well as it's a hideous tangle of wires suspended from the rafters atm. and the fuse box looks like something Zeity would have been familiar with from his apprentice days.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                What are you doing this weekend?
                The Dream: Watch Arsenal batter Chelski, short walk in the winter sunshine, watch England batter France, all washed down with a few beers.

The Reality: Watch Chelski batter Arsenal, short walk in the peeing rain, watch England struggle against France, all washed down with a few tears.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Sorting out a leak in the roof above the bog.......

Comment

Skiing...
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

TFA.

Saturday: nice walk somewhere, cooking dinner
                      Sunday: the pub. All day. Than probably something really stupid on account of being boozed-up

Comment

Working...
                      X