• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where do you Work From "Home"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    Have a dedicated man cave complete with all the toys one would want to work from home comfortably.

However Im starting to think this would be a better idea:

www.wework.com
    That would involve commuting.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      That's why laptops are great!
      Can't get the required horsepower or the screens in a little box, unfortunately. On the upside, the office never needs heating

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        MrsMac things it's strange that when I WFH I set myself up on the kitchen table, but the way I see it I am close to the kettle, its usually the warmest room in the house, SONOS is setup so I am entertained, being from an Irish family the front room was never to be used, always needed to be kept spotless for when unexpected visitors came round, so the kitchen was always the social hub growing up.

As much as I would love to turn one of the kids bedrooms into an office, or plant an eco shed in the garden mind you
        +1 As close to the source of decent coffee and bacon rolls as possible
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Although this is what I might like assuming you mean it's a separate out-building?
          Yep a log cabin.

I go to work, I come home it may be 20 feet but its enough.

Mrs V is a child minder so I would trip over crying brats all day.

Also the cross trainer stares at me so I have to jump on.

I have a kettle in the adjoining workshop.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            MrsMac things it's strange that when I WFH I set myself up on the kitchen table, but the way I see it I am close to the kettle, its usually the warmest room in the house, SONOS is setup so I am entertained, being from an Irish family the front room was never to be used, always needed to be kept spotless for when unexpected visitors came round, so the kitchen was always the social hub growing up.

As much as I would love to turn one of the kids bedrooms into an office, or plant an eco shed in the garden mind you
            It's not strange to me, when I was in high school I used to study in the kitchen for the same reasons.

I set up a desk in my bedroom when I needed more privacy.

Comment

Bedroom, living room, kitchen, the MBP has an 8 hr battery life so anywhere with an internet connection will suffice.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                Have a dedicated man cave complete with all the toys one would want to work from home comfortably.

However Im starting to think this would be a better idea:

www.wework.com
                I work one day a week at something similar to wework in NYC - the view can be a little distracting though ...

The home office is the kitchen table with two laptops hogging all the space at the moment but I was thinking of getting one of these adjustable sit/stand desks like this one when I do end up working from home more often - https://www.autonomous.ai/smartdesk-...-standing-desk. Does anyone here have something similar?

Comment

Spare room which is now my office. Looked into a dedicated office in the garden but 15k for a decent one. Thinking of converting the garage and using that as office, man cave type of thing. Currently the garage is being used as a gym, pretty crap gym but still.

Comment

Dedicated office in my dungeon cellar. Variable height desk, comfortable chair, enough screen space, and not too far from the kitchen for tea and coffee.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                      I've been looking at this company to get one plonked into my Garden.

Would you recommend them as a company?

Comment

Working...
                      X