• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thatch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    Fortunately, this one isn't listed. That was made clear in the particulars.

I do wonder if it would be possible for somebody to decide that will be listed at some point in the future though....
    Possible, but unlikely. Councils are so strapped for cash that they haven't the time to keep up with the work they have now.

Comment

Instead of re-thatching replace it with a solar roof.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Are thatched roofs plagued by squirrels?
        Probably not in this property as there aren't many trees nearby. I had squirrels in my last place though. Managed to get shot of them using those plug in sonic devices. Didn't work for the rats though....

Comment

Is it not feasible to get a cat or two?

We admittedly do not have a thatched roof but live pretty near the countryside.

Used to have a problem with mice and other small rodents so we got two cats

the only problem we have now is picking up the innards (always seems to be the stomach) that the cat does not eat...

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            Is it not feasible to get a cat or two?

We admittedly do not have a thatched roof but live pretty near the countryside.

Used to have a problem with mice and other small rodents so we got two cats

the only problem we have now is picking up the innards (always seems to be the stomach) that the cat does not eat...
            Ironically, it was having a cat that was the cause of some of the problems.

I noticed her food was going down very quickly and had my suspicions so I set up a webcam overnight.

Sure enough, this huge, greasey, brown fecker came slithering in through a broken vent behind the Rayburn and snaffled the cat's whiskas. I quickly replaced that and all the other plastic air vents with metal ones.

Generally, they need a source of food within 100 feet of the nest so I also got shot of the compost heap and that worked wonders

As I said, though, it didn't stop them coming in from next door.

Thankfully, my next place will be detached.
            Last edited by Big Blue Plymouth; 8 February 2017, 09:20.

Comment

Ugh, our new place has a large garden and the wife is keep to get a compost heap... is that a rat-magnet?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Ugh, our new place has a large garden and the wife is keep to get a compost heap... is that a rat-magnet?
                Chickens are a rat magnet (but if you get them from the BHWT, they are worth it), depending on what you put on the compost heap, you're more likely to attract hedgehogs.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Never put meat or cooked food in it. Vegetables, peelings and garden cuttings should be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    Chickens are a rat magnet (but if you get them from the BHWT, they are worth it), depending on what you put on the compost heap, you're more likely to attract hedgehogs.
                    I think they already have a hedgehog

We had joked about chickens although I'd prefer a duck or two... never heard of BHWT but what a neat project, thanks.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      You'll be lucky these days.

I'd seen one in my garden of my last place in the 14 years since I'd moved in. That said, it was a massive flea ridden, bruiser of a boar. Gave me a hell of a shock when I heard it crashing through the undergrowth.

Comment

Working...
                      X