• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thatch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    You'll be lucky these days.

I'd seen one in my garden of my last place in the 14 years since I'd moved in. That said, it was a massive flea ridden, bruiser of a boar. Gave me a hell of a shock when I heard it crashing through the undergrowth.
    I've only seen one hedgehog close up in my life. It had moved in to a box on a patio of someone I was helping as a volunteer. She was feeding it so it decided to stay.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      I've only seen one hedgehog close up in my life. It had moved in to a box on a patio of someone I was helping as a volunteer. She was feeding it so it decided to stay.
      Used to see a lot when I was a kid.

I even rescued one I found that had been abandoned by its mother. Eyes were still all closed up & I had him in a pen in my bedroom for a few weeks before I let him go.

He came back a few times as an adult & used to climb up my leg and let me feed him.

Comment

I even rescued one I found that had been abandoned by its mother. Eyes were still all closed up & I had him in a pen in my bedroom for a few weeks before I let him go.

He came back a few times as an adult & used to climb up my leg and let me feed him.
        Didn’t it get ink on him?
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

That was suppose to turn you into a vet not an IT contractor.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You'll be lucky these days.

I'd seen one in my garden of my last place in the 14 years since I'd moved in. That said, it was a massive flea ridden, bruiser of a boar. Gave me a hell of a shock when I heard it crashing through the undergrowth.

Are you sure it wasn't your missus?
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
              Are you sure it wasn't your missus?
              That would be funny if it weren't so close to the truth

Comment

There are quite a few round where I live in North Devon, but apparently badgers kill and eat them.

Their biggest problem in many areas is finding drinkable water, such as ponds and streams.

Regarding thatch, if you have to re-thatch the roof I would use Dutch reeds. It's a fair bit pricier but lasts twice as long as the British stuff, anything up to 50 years, and that will make the place more saleable and means less to worry about for the foreseeable future.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  There are quite a few round where I live in North Devon, but apparently badgers kill and eat them.

Their biggest problem in many areas is finding drinkable water, such as ponds and streams.

Regarding thatch, if you have to re-thatch the roof I would use Dutch reeds. It's a fair bit pricier but lasts twice as long as the British stuff, anything up to 50 years, and that will make the place more saleable and means less to worry about for the foreseeable future.
                  This one will have been done with straw if it's been given a 20-25 year lifespan.

Hopefully I won't have to do the full re-thatch but, as Chuck has pointed out, I can expect to get the ridge done in a few years.

Comment

Fortunately, this one isn't listed. That was made clear in the particulars.

I do wonder if it would be possible for somebody to decide that will be listed at some point in the future though....
                    I have lived in a thatched property for almost 16 years now.

In that time we had the thatched porch completely replaced in 2012 (just over £600), and the ridge replaced in 2013 which cost about £1700.

Not as expensive as I had anticipated, although the thatcher we used opted not to put up scaffolding to keep the cost down. We are fairly well tucked away so he figured the chances of the HSE spotting him were minimal.

Mine is Listed which can give some issues (although not related to the thatch aspect). It does appear that at any given time someone from English Heritage can just arbitrarily wander past and decide it is worth "Listing", but if it has not been done already I'd say the chances are probably quite slim.

The insurance is around about £13-1400 per year though, and as we have standard central heating, we have not bothered to get the fireplaces opened up. I suspect if we did the cost would rise significantly.
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

The insurance is around about £13-1400 per year though, and as we have standard central heating, we have not bothered to get the fireplaces opened up. I suspect if we did the cost would rise significantly.
                      Wow!

Got 2 chimneys. One is blocked, the other has a woodburner.

Was going to open the blocked one in the kitchen and stick a Rayburn in. May have to reassess that idea...

Comment

Working...
                      X