• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Get it Right - Big Brother is Watching

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get it Right - Big Brother is Watching

Received a nice email earlier into my inbox from my ISP.

'This is an educational email. We noted that someone downloaded XYZ yesterday at x O clock using your internet connection. Tut tut tut, this was a copyrighted film, blah blah blah, sending the boys round'

Seems it some kind of new drive from the Government.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/g...ampaign-update

No doubt I will now be chased by some other company for damages or HMRC for some form of uncollected tax.

Anyone else had this recently?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

'This is an educational email. We noted that someone downloaded XYZ yesterday at x O clock using your internet connection. Tut tut tut, this was a copyrighted film, blah blah blah, sending the boys round'

No doubt I will now be chased by some other company for damages or HMRC for some form of uncollected tax.

Which ISP?

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
      Which ISP?
      Virgin. But reading up its BT as well

Comment

Better go check the mail

Comment

If you want to do that sort of stuff why on earth aren't you set up "correctly" to do it
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I think all the big ISPs were forced into this, but they're only allowed to notify you "in case you didn't realise" not actually do anything about it?

The idea that your ISP doesn't routinely monitor traffic is somewhat naive, surely?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Did Mrs MF clock that you've been watching Patio Killers 3 again?

Comment

IIRC the beeb mentioned this was happening, ISPs sending out emails to slap people on the wrist.

How do they know? Packet inspection?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  IIRC the beeb mentioned this was happening, ISPs sending out emails to slap people on the wrist.

How do they know? Packet inspection?
                  No real need for that, the headers will usually show the origin of the file (e.g. a known or otherwise obvious torrent site) and usually a fairly hefty clue as to the title (e.g. the filename). "Nurses in Latex 3" isn't, apparently, a documentary about medical staff working on the Malaysian plantations, but you probably already knew that.

Most torrent sites are blocked at the ISP level anyway, I only know of one which still works.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                    No real need for that, the headers will usually show the origin of the file (e.g. a known or otherwise obvious torrent site) and usually a fairly hefty clue as to the title (e.g. the filename). "Nurses in Latex 3" isn't, apparently, a documentary about medical staff working on the Malaysian plantations, but you probably already knew that.

Most torrent sites are blocked at the ISP level anyway, I only know of one which still works.
                    So interestingly it was a Pirate Bay proxy. Now these are normally blocked, so have to do a Hide My Ass to access it.
                    Anyway this one wasn't blocked, went straight in, no malware and was able to download one of the recent Star Wars films.

I can only think

Comment

Working...
                    X