• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone got a drone?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate drones flying above my head.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      I've loved the idea of having a drone since before they really existed. Though the legal folk seem to be ruining the idea on behalf of idiots who use them irresponsibly I still love the idea especially as we look to move into the countryside... playing David Attenborough, etc.

Anyone got into it or looked seriously into it? More and more cheaper drones seem to be appearing but at what level do you actually get something that can fly more than 3 minutes? Clearly the pro-level drones are really rather serious, expensive bits of kit; is there yet a market for decent, cheaper models that are worth having?

Then there's the seemingly separate market for 'fun drones' like: https://www.parrot.com/uk/minidrones...#parrot-mambo-

My fear there is they'll be like the cheap RC 'copter I have which was fun for about 2 minutes before realising all it does is go up and down and bump into things...
      Best starter drone is the Syma X5-C1.

If you want to get good at flying one, buy at least 4 spare batteries. That will give you 30 minutes of flying time, as long as you remove the camera (just pops off) to reduce weight. All-in including spare batteries and charger, should set you back around £50.

Flight time has nothing to do with "seriousness", btw.
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

I think see the thread in technical about hoverboards.

Unless you actually have a need to be able to view something from above consistently it is a toy.

Some guys have done some good work on the world rally as they can hold station above some areas of the stage that would otherwise not have any coverage as there is no way to get a camera there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
          I hate drones flying above my head.
          I see what you did there
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            I think see the thread in technical about hoverboards.

Unless you actually have a need to be able to view something from above consistently it is a toy.
            This is true... however just because something is a toy doesn't mean it won't be used. My guitar is ultimately a toy buy I play with it every day. My bike gets used some times then not for a while, then I rediscover it. It's whether it's a novelty, or has repeatability I guess.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              This is true... however just because something is a toy doesn't mean it won't be used. My guitar is ultimately a toy buy I play with it every day. My bike gets used some times then not for a while, then I rediscover it. It's whether it's a novelty, or has repeatability I guess.
              I'm sure I'm not alone, in thinking, that I'm glad you keep that activity to within the privacy of your own home
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Fly the fecking thing anywhere near me and I'll shoot the ******* thing out of the sky.
                Not if I get there first!
                I've especially sharpened the propeller on my plane, to cut any infringing drone into tiny pieces.

Comment

There always used to be a demand for overhead shots of peoples houses where a company would canvas an area then send a helicopter or light aircraft around. This could now be cost effective on an individual basis. the drone systems with a follow me function are a bit creepy and there will be an increasing risk of people being hit by them. On the whole, they will be one of those impulse buys where 99% of them get relegated to the back of a drawer after a couple of weeks.

Comment

next door neighbor bought a drone for his son's birthday last summer

he said to his son, you've never used one of these, Dad will make the test flight and
                    then teach you

well, the drone had a mind of its own and flew away

apparently this drone can fly for 20 minutes before coming down

we joined the search party going round the neighbouring fields

the drone was never found

maybe there's a market for a find my drone app like the find my iPhone app

Milan.

Comment

we share one with friends, because i didn't find many ways to use it other than at big gatherings. one can occasionally take it to travels. quite fun

Comment

Working...
                      X