• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone got a drone?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone got a drone?

I've loved the idea of having a drone since before they really existed. Though the legal folk seem to be ruining the idea on behalf of idiots who use them irresponsibly I still love the idea especially as we look to move into the countryside... playing David Attenborough, etc.

Anyone got into it or looked seriously into it? More and more cheaper drones seem to be appearing but at what level do you actually get something that can fly more than 3 minutes? Clearly the pro-level drones are really rather serious, expensive bits of kit; is there yet a market for decent, cheaper models that are worth having?

Then there's the seemingly separate market for 'fun drones' like: https://www.parrot.com/uk/minidrones...#parrot-mambo-

My fear there is they'll be like the cheap RC 'copter I have which was fun for about 2 minutes before realising all it does is go up and down and bump into things...
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

I was on the pre-funding for the Lily Drone that automatically followed you while you were out and about as the family is pretty outdoorsie so might have been fun. It's taken so long the idea got boring and lost interest so cancelled.

Friends have one that the kids enjoy. They fly it at bonfire night, clear days over the countryside and then make some pretty cool videos of the view. Without that aspect it would just be gathering dust as you say.

IMO the drone it's self is pretty dull. It goes up and down and moves around, big deal. Going to get very boring after awhile. If you want to use it for something more interesting then the idea has so merits.

Now if you are the hobby type, fitting a painball gun to one would be pretty interesting
    Last edited by northernladuk; 8 February 2017, 14:08.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Now if you are the hobby type, fitting a painball gun to one would be pretty interesting
      Or Fireworks...

Taking a break from contracting

Comment

WT actual F.

I think for me there's two potential use cases.

1)Something you can fly outside with a nice camera to explore wildlife and so on. Needs a decent range, generally more serious kit.
        2)A toy maybe for indoors or the garden, especially if you can race/fight with a mate. The Parrot one looks fun.

OK, maybe 3:
        3)As a coder, there must be cool things you can do. Like a follow-drone as mentioned, or other projects I cannot think of... swarming perhaps, make a real version of robot-quidditch, ...

I'd have thought this is something Kickstarter is brilliant for, little niches in the market.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The fun drones are great to play with for a few weeks but mine is stuck in a drawer somewhere never to be seen again.

Most of the big players "prosumer" ones have Follow function, DJI Phantom 3 is the standard barer, the camera is "OK" but You want the Advance or Professional if you want anything more than home movies.
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            WT actual F.

I think for me there's two potential use cases.

1)Something you can fly outside with a nice camera to explore wildlife and so on. Needs a decent range, generally more serious kit.
            2)A toy maybe for indoors or the garden, especially if you can race/fight with a mate. The Parrot one looks fun.

OK, maybe 3:
            3)As a coder, there must be cool things you can do. Like a follow-drone as mentioned, or other projects I cannot think of... swarming perhaps, make a real version of robot-quidditch, ...

I'd have thought this is something Kickstarter is brilliant for, little niches in the market.
            Wouldn't a smarm of drones be shot down?

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Fly the fecking thing anywhere near me and I'll shoot the ******* thing out of the sky.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Fly the fecking thing anywhere near me and I'll shoot the ******* thing out of the sky.
                http://imgur.com/gallery/Y9QzQYq
                Last edited by SimonMac; 8 February 2017, 15:28. Reason: Bollocks you can't embed videos from imgur
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I thought this was impressive:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    That would be a good picture to have.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X