• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WPA medical

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WPA medical

Anyone with these guys?

Have never had private medical but I'm at the age where bits are starting to fall off. Quote is £70 ish per month for 2. Seems reasonable. Wondering if anyone has any experience with them? Or recommendations for others?

Thank you.
    Lisa: "Gary, you can't blame yourself for what gorillas did."

I had Axa PPP and any prior existing conditions, or anything mentioned to your GP even, is not covered for two years.

So if things are falling off, and your GP knows about it, it wouldn't be covered by Axa at least.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      I had Axa PPP and any prior existing conditions, or anything mentioned to your GP even, is not covered for two years.

So if things are falling off, and your GP knows about it, it wouldn't be covered by Axa at least.
      It's the same with these and all health insurers.

I'm with them but have never claimed.

They give you did discounts on gym membership so if the right gym chain is in your area and you will use it you may as well.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I took up family medical cover via WPA
        There was a CUK discount here Medical Cover for contractors from WPA :: Contractor UK
        Simon @ WPA sorted me a quote which was massively cheaper than BUPA.

Preconditions are always difficult with new policies but depends what it is and whether it is likely to require treatment or is manageable

Comment

Cheers.

Seems like WPA have a 5 year exclusion for pre-exiting - seems fair enough tbh & the price seems good, think I might grab another couple of quotes to make myself feel like I've been thorough, then go for it.

Comment

The sting in the tail for health insurance is that they don't cover pre-existing conditions. All insurance companies tend to give NCD (no claims discount) but also mysteriously give higher quotes every year, car insurance is the best example, where you often have to take out a new policy with the same insurer to get the best deal. With health insurance the premiums escalate but moving loses cover for existing conditions.

Unfortunately, I'm a lost cause for sensible cover so I will have to rely on the NHS

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
              The sting in the tail for health insurance is that they don't cover pre-existing conditions. All insurance companies tend to give NCD (no claims discount) but also mysteriously give higher quotes every year, car insurance is the best example, where you often have to take out a new policy with the same insurer to get the best deal. With health insurance the premiums escalate but moving loses cover for existing conditions.

Unfortunately, I'm a lost cause for sensible cover so I will have to rely on the NHS
              No you don't.

If you are that ill you find a private consultant and then get your NHS GP to refer you to them. You then pay them out of your own pocket. Lots of people do this for hip operations.

If you have private health insurance the only difference is you have paid for your hip operation already. You still have to see your NHS GP to get a referral.

In addition some private health policies specifically exclude diagnostic tests so if you need an MRI scan you will have to pay for it yourself. Once you have the scan then your insurance will pay for an op if you need it.

Oh and regards to car insurance the reason it went up for everyone this year is there was an insurance premium tax hike. My car and home insurance actually went down but stayed the same due to this. Some insurers actually have a 3 year cycle of increasing premiums. In that case you find the company that under writes it, and change to one of their other brands to get a cheaper policy.
              Last edited by SueEllen; 11 February 2017, 23:07.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I'm with WPA - so far so good. A few claims on dental, get paid no drama very quickly. Have the whole family insured wife + 2 kids and our cover is £150 a month.
                http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

I was with WPA for a few years. No problems with the cover or the claims. But the premiums went from very reasonable to darned expensive. So, as they no doubt intended, I stopped paying and now rely on the good old NHS.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

nearly 2 years in & ...

a few claims & nearly 2 years in, the premiums have gone way up, they've decided i've filled in the forms wrong - their wording & the advice i got from them when signing up not an attempt to hide stuff - so now i'm not actually covered. i have to go back and the price will of course go up and i'll tell them to stick it ...

on top of that, they always say there's a 2 minute queue to talk to them which is ironic as I'm often waiting for 20 mins + watching the 2 minute queue graph. they take ages to get their arses into gear to make a decision - leaving my last one until the day before the op despite chasing them every day for 2 weeks. they never call you back and they have a really archaic, irritating system for sending you communications.

not sure if all are the same. i don't mind paying for a good service but i'm not recommending WPA. thinking of just reverting to putting some £ in a savings account like Martin Lewis recommends.

Comment

Working...
                    X