• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why don't Japanese drivers buy US cars?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    Someone near where I live has bought himself a new Mustang with RHD! Nice looking but I've no idea how they handle the tight twist and turns of village roads.

I think James May did a programme a couple of years back about the Japanese cars initial introduction into the USA, quite revealing.
    Well I know that in Germany in November 2015 they were the biggest selling sports car in that class, beating the likes of Porsche and the Audi RS'es...
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Depends on your budget and requirements I guess. The Mustang V8 is 20 grand cheaper than the S6 and other V8 coupes but is bloody thirsty. Looks great, sounds great, but would the 2.3 Turbo (313bhp) be sufficient for you?
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

The reason why Japanese manufacturers created their luxury brands was marketing in the US market. Toyota created Lexus, Honda-Acura, Nissan-Infinity. The Japanese cars invaded the US marked with little cars, small engines and reliability, that couldn't be matched the US brands. But that made them a name of low-end cars for the poor, no self respecting American could have said "I drive Toyota". By creating a separate brand that only offers luxury models, the managed to tap the US up-market.

The reason why we are not seeing a lot of Infinity/Acura/Lexus in Europe is that the parent brands are well received, without the need for rebranding and many models that are sold under the up-market brand in the US are sold under the parent brand in Europe.

Similar Opel is branded Voxhall in the UK and Holden in Oz

Comment

The reason Japan, and much of the rest of the world, don't buy too many American cars is because they're crap.
          Crap handling, crap build quality, inefficent.

HTH, BIDI.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            The reason Japan, and much of the rest of the world, don't buy too many American cars is because they're crap.
            Crap handling, crap build quality, inefficent.

HTH, BIDI.
            Biggest selling "car" in USA 2015:

Biggest selling car in Japan:

Okay, snowflakes, can you see why US cars don't sell too well in Japan? Have a look and a think and a lie down in your safe space and get back to me.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Biggest selling "car" in USA 2015:

Biggest selling car in Japan:

Okay, snowflakes, can you see why US cars don't sell too well in Japan? Have a look and a think and a lie down in your safe space and get back to me.

Frack baby frack.
              McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                Frack baby frack.
                Why won't the Ford Mustang sell a million 5.0 V8's here?

Because it costs £15 to fill it up in the USA and it does < 20 mpg.

Comment

They're both grim. Give me a German coupe instead - anything from TT FSI through a Merc C63 to a 911 GTS. Ideally give me an Aston DBS or Bentley Continental but meh, I'm only a contractor, not a footballer.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Frack baby frack

Comment

Working...
                    X