• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Terrible luck! SHLTNLUK(Should Have Listened To NLUK)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
    Sorry to hear about the bad timing.

You could write to the clerk of court asking to be excused on the grounds that you're working at the other side of the country ( my assumption). It might work, it might not, might give you a deferment to a more suitable time.

I was lucky, I was called while working from home, only wasted three mornings not being chosen for jury duty, made up the time in the other days of the week free for the next five (?) years, by which time I'm exempt ( too old),
    Yeah my only hope now is I'll be excused since I'm the sole earner in my family. The timing was nuts, it was printed on the exact day I bought the insurance/membership, such a (crappy) coincidence.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      If you have not deferred before then politely decline. Explain you have just started work for a new client and it would cause you serious difficulties if you went on Jury service now suggest a new date (they hit it within 2 weeks AFAIR) . You get one decline before they get sniffy.

Declined once, served once.

Not sure if IPSE would cover a later jury service.
      The IPSE claim document says "Jury service can be deferred, but it is the date of the initial summons which determines whether cover will be provided.", so even if I get it deferred, the won't cover it

The first question is "1. When were you advised by the court that you were required to undertake Jury Service?". For me this is Saturday 11 February, 3 days after I took out the membership. I don't think they should count the printing/issue day since no-one can receive their summons on the same day it's printed, so they can't commit insurance fraud like that. Even if it was sent by next day delivery, I would have only gotten it on the 9th, the day after I started membership.

Comment

Reminds me of the day many moons ago I told me IFA to cancel the income protection insurance. Look, I said, I'm paying this out every month and it doesn't seem to anything, lets get rid of it. To which he replied, great... now put on this here paper the future dates you're planing to come down with a terminal illness or some other* that'll keep you from working.

Point taken.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Rabotnik View Post
          The IPSE claim document says "Jury service can be deferred, but it is the date of the initial summons which determines whether cover will be provided.", so even if I get it deferred, the won't cover it

The first question is "1. When were you advised by the court that you were required to undertake Jury Service?". For me this is Saturday 11 February, 3 days after I took out the membership. I don't think they should count the printing/issue day since no-one can receive their summons on the same day it's printed, so they can't commit insurance fraud like that. Even if it was sent by next day delivery, I would have only gotten it on the 9th, the day after I started membership.
          Stop arguing for the sake of it.

You got your summons and IPSE told you their cut off date.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

So have you renewed it now?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I think you should phone them and ask. After all the cover is for lost work. You have been slightly unlucky this time with the timing but "tomorrow is another day", as someone once said.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                So have you renewed it now?
                Of course, that was crucial to the tragedy of my tale.

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                I think you should phone them and ask. After all the cover is for lost work. You have been slightly unlucky this time with the timing but "tomorrow is another day", as someone once said.
                I spoke to a lady at IPSE and after she spoke to her manager she said I would only have been covered if they issued it on the 9th, but I do think the wording in the claim document refers to "Receipt Date", not "Date of Issue" - which is what appears at the bottom of the summons. They should have just asked "What is the Date of Issue of the Summons?". Nothing I can do about it now I think, will just have to see what happens.

Comment

I spoke to a lady at IPSE and after she spoke to her manager she said I would only have been covered if they issued it on the 9th, but I do think the wording in the claim document refers to "Receipt Date", not "Date of Issue" - which is what appears at the bottom of the summons. They should have just asked "What is the Date of Issue of the Summons?". Nothing I can do about it now I think, will just have to see what happens.
                  If the wording says Receipt Date, then invoice them and start dunning, using your IPSE discount with Safe Collections.

Comment

Why the dramatics ? You can ask to be exempted from it, so problem solved. Simples.

Comment

Cover is outlined here

https://www.ipse.co.uk/about-us/busi...ption-services

It says "at the time of the summons". Do you have a claim form that says receipt date? If so, ask again and point that out to them.

Comment

Working...
                      X