• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Someone nicked my identity ... kind of ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone nicked my identity ... kind of ...

Someone has taken out a van insurance policy using my name and address. I only found out because I started getting letters asking for proof of my NCB.

Does anyone know what the point of this is? They still had to pay for it and if they were stopped the police would spot that the name on the licence did not match the name on the policy.

What do they gain here?
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Is it possible the V5 is registered to your address and they've intercepted it? If that's the case you'll get all the speeding fines and parking fines?

Getting stopped is old school. It's all the ANPR's it will fool.

I'd be checking it's just not a f'up with the address before looking for something too dark first.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
      Someone has taken out a van insurance policy using my name and address. I only found out because I started getting letters asking for proof of my NCB.

Does anyone know what the point of this is? They still had to pay for it and if they were stopped the police would spot that the name on the licence did not match the name on the policy.

What do they gain here?
      Automatic number plate recognition will identify a vehicle that is not insured, so you'll get pulled over very quickly. If you want one month's insurance, you could pay in installments on someone else's clean record. Not sure how you manage the registration of the vehicle, as it could be traced back to you that way.

Just a guess.

Comment

Could it just be a cockup by the insurers?
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Get in touch with the insurer not DVLA, who will do SFA, and make sure the insurance is cancelled.

Insurers don't like fraud so give them as much detail as possible to unlink the van from you.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post

What do they gain here?
            The reason they do it is to prove they have insurance. A scrote gets nicked and the coppers remove the car. They have a certain amount of time to prove they have insurance or it will be sold or crushed. Onto the internet and take the first cheap quote that pops up. Print off the docs and down to the cop shop. They will appear insured up to the point then the insurance firm cancels the policy due to missing no claims info. For this to work they would have to be using you name when it comes to dealing with the cops and address which should be a big concern.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Once you have contacted the insurer get your details on www.cifas.org.uk/pr_for_individuals

You have to pay but anyone trying to get credit with your details won't be able to .
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                The reason they do it is to prove they have insurance. A scrote gets nicked and the coppers remove the car. They have a certain amount of time to prove they have insurance or it will be sold or crushed. Onto the internet and take the first cheap quote that pops up. Print off the docs and down to the cop shop. They will appear insured up to the point then the insurance firm cancels the policy due to missing no claims info. For this to work they would have to be using you name when it comes to dealing with the cops and address which should be a big concern.
                Hmmm .... that is a little worrying.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Get in touch with the insurer not DVLA, who will do SFA, and make sure the insurance is cancelled.

Insurers don't like fraud so give them as much detail as possible to unlink the van from you.
                  Yep, spoke to them this morning. They said they were launching an investigation and I should contact the police. I phoned the police and they didn't care as the insurance company was investigating it.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Could it just be a cockup by the insurers?
                    I spoke to them and they claimed it was fraud and told me to phone the police

Comment

Working...
                    X