• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spend yer round pounds before October 15th 2017

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They announced this a few months ago and the reporting in the press was as inaccurate then as it is here.

They do cease to be legal tender but that's not really relevant unless you're using them to settle a debt.

The shops will be instructed to stop taking them after that date so its true you will no longer be able to spend them in shops.

However they do *not* become worthless. There is no set limit on when banks will stop exchanging old coins for new ones and you will probably be able to for a long time. I actually emailed the Royal Mint about this and this is what they said:

As indicated by the press statement we would encourage you to return the current round £1 coin by the 15th October 2017 when the coin’s legal status is removed. However, the current round £1 coin can continue to be deposited into a customer’s account, either business or personal, at most High Street Banks including RBS, NatWest, Ulster, HSBC, Barclays, Lloyds, Santander, Nationwide, Clydesdale, Yorkshire Bank, Halifax, Bank of Scotland and The Post Office after this date. It may be possible to exchange £1 coins at these banks and the Post Office provided you hold an account with them.
    There's also a FAQ here:
    https://www.thenewpoundcoin.com

If in doubt, ask your own bank.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      You mean like the ones you can already get for less than half that?

Mind you, not knowing that, I guess you're lucky enough not to be dragged around the supermarket with the enemy at weekend.
      Obviously I know that, it's just a circle of metal!

But if you turn up without one and they sell them for a pound...

Also - my local supermarkets don't chain their trolleys together. They have some kind of parole ankle tag on them
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

As the date of discontinuation of the old £1 coin draws near, the BBC has an article listing the 10 places where you are likely to find your old coins. Yes one of them is "down the back of the sofa".

Ten places to find your old £1 coins before shops refuse them - BBC News

But I'm sure there must be other places.
        Where is the most unusual place where you have stored, lost, or found, one of your one pound coins?

Women, "between my breasts" or other places is not considered a suitably dignified answer to this question, although I'm sure Brillopad will appreciate it

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
          As the date of discontinuation of the old £1 coin draws near, the BBC has an article listing the 10 places where you are likely to find your old coins. Yes one of them is "down the back of the sofa".
          Well, I guess I know what I'm going to be doing all next week....

Comment

Took my change jar down to my local Metro bank and popped the contents into the Magic Money Machine. A measly £116 but then I've not been doing many cash transactions of late.

Comment

Still getting the old ones in change.

Apparently some of the coins sent back to be taken out of circulation have been the new ones.

Doh!

Comment

I better go through my purses.

That is my gym purse, parking change purse, normal purse and going out purse. I should check my Euro and Dollar purses just in case.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                  Still getting the old ones in change.

Apparently some of the coins sent back to be taken out of circulation have been the new ones.

Doh!
                  I saw that in the news - lots of shops returning the wrong type of coins.

Comment

Working...
                  X