• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Now be nice to Diane...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Not sure what your point is, looks like ethnic minorities are under-represented in Parliament..
    His point, dummy, is that between 2001 and 2015 the percentage of ethnic minorities in the UK has increased from 8% to 13% i.e. almost doubled.

So although they are technically unrepresented in Parliament at present, that appears to be mainly because their percentage in the country is increasing too fast for the political system to keep up! Or it may be because a large part of the increase are currently still juveniles.

(This is based on vetran's summary comments in his post - I haven't had time yet to read the articles he cited.)
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 15 February 2017, 14:02.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      What does that have to do with anything? Petty attacks on personal appearance... low even by the erudite standards of CUK. If you'd care to post a photo of yourself for comparison?
      So we all have to be nice to MF now and not comment on how he is fat enough to have significant gravity?

Fattism is allowed, even encouraged....

Comment

I'm sure she's been the victim of some appalling abuse and I'd be the first to condemn it.

This is what I have a problem with though:

there is a danger that Brexit could give some people permission to express sentiments that are anything but progressive and internationalist
        Plenty of people (probably most) have socially conservative views and are against the kind of open borders that the internationalists espouse.

Myself included.

So why does she think it's a danger that commonly held opinions may be openly expressed?

Danger to whom exactly? Ethnic minorities? I doubt it since many of them, especially Asians, voted for Brexit.

No, I think the danger she's worried about is that the whole progressive project is about to be derailed.

Rather worrying statement that one.

Comment

Yes because joining the party and getting a nomination to run as Labour MP are exactly the same thing. Even in the UK, getting elected as a black woman (even an horrible one) is still quite an achievement and denying the difficulty of that journey is asinine.

Getting elected as a Labour MP in a seat that's been Labour since 1950 is difficult?

You're a bit new to Hackney and Stoke Newington I take it?
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            Regardless of what you think about which party.

The fact that a grown man thinks it is acceptable, in a modern civilised society, to start randomly making dog noises when a colleague is speaking, for whatever reason, is unacceptable.
            Initially, I thought it was to indicate she's barking mad, not because she's female.

If someone started barking in a work meeting you would get them sectioned.
            There you go!
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

Getting elected as a Labour MP in a seat that's been Labour since 1950 is difficult?

You're a bit new to Hackney and Stoke Newington I take it?
              That's a dumb post even by your standards. Go back and read what I said... getting the nomination to run for MP in a safe Labour seat is the achievement, the safer the seat the bigger the accomplishment even though paradoxically they're the easiest to win.

The best MPs should be put in the marginal seats.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

That's a dumb post even by your standards. Go back and read what I said... getting the nomination to run for MP in a safe Labour seat is the achievement, the safer the seat the bigger the accomplishment even though paradoxically they're the easiest to win.

The best MPs should be put in the marginal seats.
                That's why the racist tool is in a safe seat. This is, after all, the woman who claimed that at her local hospital "blonde, blue-eyed Finnish girls" were unsuitable as nurses because they had "never met a black person before".
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

That's why the racist tool is in a safe seat. This is, after all, the woman who claimed that at her local hospital "blonde, blue-eyed Finnish girls" were unsuitable as nurses because they had "never met a black person before".
                  Diane's casual racism

Imagine if a white politician made a derogatory comment about "poor black boys"

Or what about this?

She's as racist as the nutters she criticises.

Comment

It sounds like a good hospital to me.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      That's an invalid comparison and not the point of this thread.

Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh* can change her political allegiance like Douglas Carswell but can't change her biological sex and her ethnic origins. So she shouldn't be abused by another member of Parliament for her biological sex and/or her ethnic origins. Neither should she be abused by members of the public for the same reasons.

*I have to use her rather than Ms Abbot to make my point otherwise you won't take it seriously.
                      someone takes Dirty Diana seriously?
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X