European Commission isn't happy with us European Commission isn't happy with us - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 37
  1. #11

    Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

    northernladyuk is a fount of knowledge

    northernladyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Working the streets of your imagination
    Posts
    9,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NigelJK View Post
    Where a 5 year trial will ensue and we'll be fined a stupid amount and the paper pushers at Whitehall will pay it. Not like the French, who still haven't paid their fine over not selling British Beef.
    Meanwhile, in the real world of non-alternative facts, France was never fined for not selling British beef.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

  2. #12

    Double Godlike!

    LondonManc is a fount of knowledge


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Work-life balance nirvana
    Posts
    10,107
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  3. #13

    Contractor Among Contractors

    NigelJK is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,535

    Default

    Oh yeah you're right. This was a much better outcome for them.

    I've revised my prediction:

    Where a 5 year trial will ensue and we'll be fined a stupid amount and the paper pushers at Whitehall will pay it. Not like the French, who were threatened with a fine like naughty people but it was OK as the EU said so.
    Feel better now?

  4. #14

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen is a fount of knowledge

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    29,066

    Default

    And?

    Pollution in London and the rest of the UK has come from France before.

    Also note I said 4 other countries. I can't find source which says what the countries are.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

  5. #15

    Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

    northernladyuk is a fount of knowledge

    northernladyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Working the streets of your imagination
    Posts
    9,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NigelJK View Post
    Oh yeah you're right. This was a much better outcome for them.

    I've revised my prediction:



    Feel better now?
    Truth is generally preferable to a Euro-myth, wouldn't you say? I understand that a more objective version of the truth to be that the Commission asked the ECJ to impose a fine but France lifted the ban before the ECJ imposed a fine, so legally no fine could be imposed. Which is somewhat different from:

    Not like the French, who still haven't paid their fine over not selling British Beef.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

  6. #16

    Contractor Among Contractors

    NigelJK is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,535

    Default

    I understand that a more objective version of the truth to be that the Commission asked the ECJ to impose a fine but France lifted the ban before the ECJ imposed a fine, so legally no fine could be imposed and the ECJ decided (for some reason) that it could not be imposed 'retrospectively' - despite the French breaking EU law for over a year.
    Still being economical with the truth yourself then.

  7. #17

    More fingers than teeth

    BlasterBates - scorchio!

    BlasterBates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    1922 Commitee
    Posts
    14,021

    Default

    Good job we're leaving the EU, won't have to put with that anymore.

    I'm alright Jack

  8. #18

    My post count is Majestic

    vetran is always on top

    vetran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Come Friendly Bombs
    Posts
    31,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Meanwhile, in the real world of non-alternative facts, France was never fined for not selling British beef.
    no they weren't however they should have been the EU commision couldn't fine them retrospectively. Shows how much use the EU is.

    BBC NEWS | World | Europe | France escapes fines over UK beef

    France has escaped the threat of huge fines from the European Commission over its illegal ban on British beef imports.
    The Commission withdrew the proposed $161,400 (£100,000) a-day penalties against France because they cannot be imposed retrospectively.


    The UK regrets the decision by the European Commission not to pursue the case seeking penalties against France

    UK Government statement
    France lifted its restrictions on imports of British beef last month - more than a year after being ordered to do so by the European Court of Justice.

    The Commission had applied to the court for the hefty daily fines until France agreed to accept British beef, but the case was still pending when France lifted its ban.

    The rest of the EU lifted the beef ban in August 1999, after Britain introduced new safeguards to prevent the spread of BSE, otherwise known as mad cow disease.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

  9. #19

    Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

    northernladyuk is a fount of knowledge

    northernladyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Working the streets of your imagination
    Posts
    9,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    no they weren't however they should have been the EU commision couldn't fine them retrospectively. Shows how much use the EU is.

    BBC NEWS | World | Europe | France escapes fines over UK beef
    The EU Commission can't issue fines in any case.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

  10. #20

    Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

    northernladyuk is a fount of knowledge

    northernladyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Working the streets of your imagination
    Posts
    9,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NigelJK View Post
    Still being economical with the truth yourself then.
    Regrettably no, but of course you would know the truth if it was wearing a Union Flag having a pint with Nigel Farage.

    However, I do acknowledge that the 'truth horse' has well and truly bolted in this post-Brexit and Trump world.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •