• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

European Commission isn't happy with us

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    The EU Commission can't issue fines in any case.
    Better tell the BBC then its their story.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Think it does say ECJ (as per my reply) in the article, although I'd agree it's difficult to tell the ECJ and the EUC (and their objectives) apart.

So you think that if I got a speeding ticket I'd not have to pay the 'fine' because the case was brought retrospectively. Does that sound right? Only if you're a shortsighted Europhile (this is my new insult to remainers).

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
        Think it does say ECJ (as per my reply) in the article, although I'd agree it's difficult to tell the ECJ and the EUC (and their objectives) apart.

So you think that if I got a speeding ticket I'd not have to pay the 'fine' because the case was brought retrospectively. Does that sound right? Only if you're a shortsighted Europhile (this is my new insult to remainers).
        I think the law should be applied. What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Better tell the BBC then its their story.
          The relevant part of the article, I think, is:

June 2002: Commission asks European Court to impose daily fines of £100,000 against France
          It doesn't look to me as if the BBC article states that the Commission can fine anyone.

As an aside, I do blame Thatcher for abolishing O levels, with their more rigorous English Language comprehension test. It has been downhill ever since, and it is a parlous background against which to hold a national referendum on such a complex matter. But it is done now, and I fear that those who supported Brexit will be those least equipped to deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            The relevant part of the article, I think, is:

It doesn't look to me as if the BBC article states that the Commission can fine anyone.

As an aside, I do blame Thatcher for abolishing O levels, with their more rigorous English Language comprehension test. It has been downhill ever since, and it is a parlous background against which to hold a national referendum on such a complex matter. But it is done now, and I fear that those who supported Brexit will be those least equipped to deal with it.

Strange the bit of the story I quoted seems to disagree with you, how are you doing on the AssGuru logic free method course then?

France has escaped the threat of huge fines from the European Commission over its illegal ban on British beef imports.
            The Commission withdrew the proposed $161,400 (£100,000) a-day penalties against France because they cannot be imposed retrospectively.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              Good job we're leaving the EU, won't have to put with that anymore.

Indeed. We can sue them for polluting us
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I think the law should be applied
                So do I, the French owe the ECJ around 7.2M euro's. I think we (as a full member of the EU) should also ensure that the damage to our economy is also repaid in full, wouldn't want the criminals getting away with it again would we?

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  Indeed. We can sue them for polluting us
                  Don't be silly.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    Strange the bit of the story I quoted seems to disagree with you, how are you doing on the AssGuru logic free method course then?
                    'From' is a rather vague word in this case, isn't it? The Commission can propose the fines but it is the ECJ that imposes the fines. There are some further logical clues within the article, for example:

The Commission had applied to the court for the hefty daily fines until France agreed to accept British beef, but the case was still pending when France lifted its ban.
                    To quote assguru:

HTHBIDI

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                      So do I, the French owe the ECJ around 7.2M euro's. I think we (as a full member of the EU) should also ensure that the damage to our economy is also repaid in full, wouldn't want the criminals getting away with it again would we?
                      Tell me about the 7.2 million. Is this an unpaid fine?

In terms of criminality, was a criminal law broken? If so, which one?

In terms of damage, is France legally accountable for that damage? If so, on what legal basis?

Comment

Working...
                      X