• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

European Commission isn't happy with us

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
    Where a 5 year trial will ensue and we'll be fined a stupid amount and the paper pushers at Whitehall will pay it. Not like the French, who still haven't paid their fine over not selling British Beef.
    Meanwhile, in the real world of non-alternative facts, France was never fined for not selling British beef.

Comment

Oops:

'Red' toxic smog alert for London with millions warned to stay indoors due to polluted air from Germany - Mirror Online

Merkeltastic!!!

Jog on EU
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Oh yeah you're right. This was a much better outcome for them.

I've revised my prediction:

Where a 5 year trial will ensue and we'll be fined a stupid amount and the paper pushers at Whitehall will pay it. Not like the French, who were threatened with a fine like naughty people but it was OK as the EU said so.
        Feel better now?

Comment

And?

Pollution in London and the rest of the UK has come from France before.

Also note I said 4 other countries. I can't find source which says what the countries are.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Oh yeah you're right. This was a much better outcome for them.

I've revised my prediction:

Feel better now?
            Truth is generally preferable to a Euro-myth, wouldn't you say? I understand that a more objective version of the truth to be that the Commission asked the ECJ to impose a fine but France lifted the ban before the ECJ imposed a fine, so legally no fine could be imposed. Which is somewhat different from:

Not like the French, who still haven't paid their fine over not selling British Beef.

Comment

I understand that a more objective version of the truth to be that the Commission asked the ECJ to impose a fine but France lifted the ban before the ECJ imposed a fine, so legally no fine could be imposed and the ECJ decided (for some reason) that it could not be imposed 'retrospectively' - despite the French breaking EU law for over a year.
              Still being economical with the truth yourself then.

Comment

Good job we're leaving the EU, won't have to put with that anymore.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                  Meanwhile, in the real world of non-alternative facts, France was never fined for not selling British beef.
                  no they weren't however they should have been the EU commision couldn't fine them retrospectively. Shows how much use the EU is.

BBC NEWS | World | Europe | France escapes fines over UK beef

France has escaped the threat of huge fines from the European Commission over its illegal ban on British beef imports.
                  The Commission withdrew the proposed $161,400 (£100,000) a-day penalties against France because they cannot be imposed retrospectively.

The UK regrets the decision by the European Commission not to pursue the case seeking penalties against France

UK Government statement
                  France lifted its restrictions on imports of British beef last month - more than a year after being ordered to do so by the European Court of Justice.

The Commission had applied to the court for the hefty daily fines until France agreed to accept British beef, but the case was still pending when France lifted its ban.

The rest of the EU lifted the beef ban in August 1999, after Britain introduced new safeguards to prevent the spread of BSE, otherwise known as mad cow disease.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    no they weren't however they should have been the EU commision couldn't fine them retrospectively. Shows how much use the EU is.

BBC NEWS | World | Europe | France escapes fines over UK beef
                    The EU Commission can't issue fines in any case.

Comment

Still being economical with the truth yourself then.
                      Regrettably no, but of course you would know the truth if it was wearing a Union Flag having a pint with Nigel Farage.

However, I do acknowledge that the 'truth horse' has well and truly bolted in this post-Brexit and Trump world.

Comment

Working...
                      X