• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business Rates Rises

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I thought lots of pubs were closing because the increasing property prices means they can sell and make a huge return irregardless of whether the business is doing well?

I've no idea if £40k a year is a lot or not, depends a lot on the pub in question. If I pour one pint a minute from 11-11 that's 720 pints a day or ~250k pints a year. So "council sales tax" would be what 19p a pint?
    Which is almost certainly more than the profit margin per pint for most pubs.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I thought lots of pubs were closing because the increasing property prices means they can sell and make a huge return irregardless of whether the business is doing well?

I've no idea if £40k a year is a lot or not, depends a lot on the pub in question. If I pour one pint a minute from 11-11 that's 720 pints a day or ~250k pints a year. So "council sales tax" would be what 19p a pint?
      Since I've met many people who have owned pubs who have gone bankrupt, what do you think? Also remember pubs are tied to a brewery and have to pay their staff the minimum wage - they can't make them self-employed.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Just another excuse for the government to raise taxes. They are bust after all and we all need to chip in with our "fair share"

Government is targeting whoever they can - IT Contractors, Landlords, Businesses that can't fight back (i.e. not the Google or Amazon league).

As usual the mindless policy makers don't realize that jobs will be lost and full-circle round the tax intake will decrease. But they're only interested in their next 4 year term, such is their short-term mindset.

No doubt the increase in business rates will be passed on to consumers where possible, else the business will die.

I wonder when council tax will be revised to level up with the increased value of peoples' homes. After all, homeowners must be sh1t-loaded and rolling around in cash, right?

Goose. Golden Egg.

This country is f*cked.
        Last edited by ChimpMaster; 17 February 2017, 11:26.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
          Just another excuse for the government to raise taxes. They are bust after all and we all need to chip in with our "fair share"

Government is targeting whoever they can - IT Contractors, Landlords, Businesses that can't fight back (i.e. not the Google or Amazon league).
          Try fighting with a multi-national who can move their factories and send parcels from the Eire, the Netherlands or Belgium.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Try fighting with a multi-national who can move their factories and send parcels from the Eire, the Netherlands or Belgium.
            just think soon when we leave the EU we will be able to charge them appropriately. We can also ignore the tax evoidance that Junket helped set up.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              Which is almost certainly more than the profit margin per pint for most pubs.
              Yes but they make that profit margin after paying the 19p currently (if my figures are even close). Rates aren't going up by 19p a pint, if the rate is 19p a pint and goes up 30% then it goes up by 5-6p a pint. I haven't the foggiest what their margin is but when they're already charging £4/pint (and the rest), increasing the price 5p is probably achievable.

Since people like Sue seem to have inside knowledge of this area, perhaps they can share some more realistic figures than the ones I pulled out of my bum?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
                We already have that. It's called Vat. In fact we suffer about three times more of it than our American cousins. Since we're more communist we apply it nationally so it can be redistributed to lazier areas instead of keeping it in the regions where it comes from.
                I don't think it's exactly the same thing, though similar?

Comment

Most rural pubs would be delighted to be pouring that much beer for two hours a day, let alone 12.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
                    Most rural pubs would be delighted to be pouring that much beer for two hours a day, let alone 12.
                    Rural pubs probably aren't being charged £40k. Hence my caveat about what size/type of pub it is.

Comment

Yes but they make that profit margin after paying the 19p currently (if my figures are even close). Rates aren't going up by 19p a pint, if the rate is 19p a pint and goes up 30% then it goes up by 5-6p a pint. I haven't the foggiest what their margin is but when they're already charging £4/pint (and the rest), increasing the price 5p is probably achievable.

Since people like Sue seem to have inside knowledge of this area, perhaps they can share some more realistic figures than the ones I pulled out of my bum?
                      The people I know who ran pubs got made bankrupt years ago. Everyone I've met since is a manager employed by the pub chain so they don't know all the figures.

Anyway if you really are interested in finding out the health of the pub trade join CAMRA, go to the pubs they hang out in and talk to the people who work in them, and go to CAMRA events.

Comment

Working...
                      X