• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business Rates Rises

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Rural pubs probably aren't being charged £40k. Hence my caveat about what size/type of pub it is.
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I was talking to a pub owner a couple of weeks ago, and their annual council tax in rural Devon is almost £40,000 a year. No wonder so many pubs are closing!

Business rates are ridiculous notion, straight out of medieval times. Raising them all the sudden is like killing the golden goose.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Had a blinding idea if I ever wanted to open my place as a pub, which all the local farmers and residents have been beseeching me to do since I moved to Devon.

Claim it is a B&B, where the guests all kip on folding beds in the same large room, like a down-market youth hostel if you like, then charge the regulars say a pound for the night so they can then drink as hotel guests (and not of course bother staying the night, unless they end up literally too legless to drive home).
      I just realised charities are exempt from business rates. So if your members club was a charity then you would be exempt.

There as your B&B wouldn't be.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Listening to a guy running a pub based in Barnet on the radio. His business rates are going up from £9,000 to £23,000. He's suppose to get £1700 of trade a week on 900sq ft according to the fair maintainable trade calculation it is based on. He is now closing down his pub and making his 3 employees redundant.

Oh and lots of corner shops are going to close.

Comment

Regarding beer prices for pubs ... I have a friend who runs a small pub company with about 25 pubs in it.

This is what he told me when I asked about the prices ( for another friend)

£75 ex vat free trade for 72 pints of cask beer
          £83 ex vat free trade for 88 pints of Carling/fosters
          Eg doom bar average price 3.60 so about £2.30 slightly more on Carling etc

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
            Regarding beer prices for pubs ... I have a friend who runs a small pub company with about 25 pubs in it.

This is what he told me when I asked about the prices ( for another friend)

£75 ex vat free trade for 72 pints of cask beer
            £83 ex vat free trade for 88 pints of Carling/fosters
            Eg doom bar average price 3.60 so about £2.30 slightly more on Carling etc
            Sounds good until you work out the rent, rates, staff wages, heating. lighting, water etc

Comment

Working...
            X