• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business Rates Rises

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business Rates Rises

Has this been covered?

Business rates are to be reevaluated for the first time in 7 years and since they are based on the value of the property, many businesses are seeing increases in the region of 30-40%.

Of course, the hardest hit will be those that can least afford it, e.g. pubs, as they are often in areas where property prices have seen huge increases. Conversely, big online retailers, such as Amazon, stand to benefit as they are often located in out of town areas where prices are cheaper.

What a stupid unfair system. Rates should be based on earning potential, not the values of the property. I know that in Spain when you open a bar, somebody comes round from the local council, measures it up and bases the payable taxes on the square metrage of the property.

Sounds much fairer. It's no wonder the high street is dying.

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    Has this been covered?

Business rates are to be reevaluated for the first time in 7 years and since they are based on the value of the property, many businesses are seeing increases in the region of 30-40%.

Of course, the hardest hit will be those that can least afford it, e.g. pubs, as they are often in areas where property prices have seen huge increases. Conversely, big online retailers, such as Amazon, stand to benefit as they are often located in out of town areas where prices are cheaper.

What a stupid unfair system. Rates should be based on earning potential, not the values of the property. I know that in Spain when you open a bar, somebody comes round from the local council, measures it up and bases the payable taxes on the square metrage of the property.

Funny, I was speaking to our local chippy owner about all this.
    Someone he knows is facing a ruinous 30% rise
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post

So you're saying that IT contractors who already have to do an extra seven weeks work this year to make up for the tax changes (VAT and dividends) should also have to pay massive business rates?

Wouldn't a better solution be to stop all the handouts and tax breaks that have forced the prices up? Zirp, BTL MIR, housing benefit, help to buy, new ISAs, FLS, etc.

Then we could have lower business rates and taxes and costs for all. The economy would boom and so on.

Just an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
        So you're saying that IT contractors who already have to do an extra seven weeks work this year to make up for the tax changes (VAT and dividends) should also have to pay massive business rates?
        Poor entitled snowflake. Are you crying into your champers?

HTH BIDI

</dimpramn>
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Never having owned/rented premises... are business rates simply the business equivalent of council tax?

How do people feel about a more US-system of sales tax, the council take a cut off the top (turnover) or similar?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Never having owned/rented premises... are business rates simply the business equivalent of council tax?

How do people feel about a more US-system of sales tax, the council take a cut off the top (turnover) or similar?
            Don't think that would work here. Some councils would charge less than others, so everyone would travel a bit to get stuff cheaper elsewhere. Places with large shopping centres (Bluewater etc) would be creaming (they could charge a lower rate on volume alone) it in at the expense of areas without them.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

.. are business rates simply the business equivalent of council tax? ..
              I believe so, and councils (or indirectly the Government) really leech off businesses for all they are worth, as businesses have no vote.

I was talking to a pub owner a couple of weeks ago, and their annual council tax in rural Devon is almost £40,000 a year. No wonder so many pubs are closing!

The Government are utterly mad to keep letting valuable social amenities go to the wall like this, and in fact they have no right to literally tax so much private enterprise out of existence.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I thought lots of pubs were closing because the increasing property prices means they can sell and make a huge return irregardless of whether the business is doing well?

I've no idea if £40k a year is a lot or not, depends a lot on the pub in question. If I pour one pint a minute from 11-11 that's 720 pints a day or ~250k pints a year. So "council sales tax" would be what 19p a pint?

Comment

We already have that. It's called Vat. In fact we suffer about three times more of it than our American cousins. Since we're more communist we apply it nationally so it can be redistributed to lazier areas instead of keeping it in the regions where it comes from.

Comment

I thought lots of pubs were closing because the increasing property prices means they can sell and make a huge return irregardless of whether the business is doing well?

I've no idea if £40k a year is a lot or not, depends a lot on the pub in question. If I pour one pint a minute from 11-11 that's 720 pints a day or ~250k pints a year. So "council sales tax" would be what 19p a pint?
                    Shame we have no landlords on here to validate your claims
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X