• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Youtube recommends - How does that work then?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youtube recommends - How does that work then?

So at work yesterday on my work laptop I was listening to a music track, which to be fair I listened to about a dozen times as it was a cool tune and I was coding to it.

So this morning at home, I open up my home machine and it's first on my 'Watch it Again' list.

Now this is weird. It's a music track over 4 years old which I've never played on this laptop.

Explain to me what type of tracking their using for that to occur.

( I have used both laptops at work and at home, but not to listen to the same music, Co-incidence or IP Tracking/Using email etc???)
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Oh I should also add I'm not logged in to YouTube or Facebook on either machine.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Oh I should also add I'm not logged in to YouTube or Facebook on either machine.
      google....
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I had a discussion with a few developers about something similar. I visited a website because the wife had to visit the place. Random business that I had no interest in other than this one time. Next day i start receiving emails from them.

Not one person has heard of an ip database out there and they do a fair bit of marketing stuff. But they must be tracking up and associating with emails and other websites.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
          I had a discussion with a few developers about something similar. I visited a website because the wife had to visit the place. Random business that I had no interest in other than this one time. Next day i start receiving emails from them.

Not one person has heard of an ip database out there and they do a fair bit of marketing stuff. But they must be tracking up and associating with emails and other websites.
          Google or similar.

If you agreed years ago to receive emails from associate companies or third parties, and then agreed to accept cookies from these companies' websites they can then use cookies to track you.

Using IP in the UK is useless as people still have dynamic IPs. In addition I have 2 broadband connections at home and use other people's/organisations so have different IPs, but still get those emails from certain sports retailers if I go on their sites.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Mind you, the EU did bring in a law to help you stop this:

https://www.cookielaw.org/the-cookie-law/ (for basic readers)

Cookies - European commission (for those interested in the details)
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Google or similar.

If you agreed years ago to receive emails from associate companies or third parties, and then agreed to accept cookies from these companies' websites they can then use cookies to track you.

Using IP in the UK is useless as people still have dynamic IPs. In addition I have 2 broadband connections at home and use other people's/organisations so have different IPs, but still get those emails from certain sports retailers if I go on their sites.
              Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              Mind you, the EU did bring in a law to help you stop this:

https://www.cookielaw.org/the-cookie-law/ (for basic readers)

Cookies - European commission (for those interested in the details)

Ok walk me through it slowly.

Issue. I have two seperate laptops which I have used in two different locations. The only similar thing would be via AOL where I have logged into to my email on both machines.

On machine A at Location A I watched Video A
              On return home (location B) and on Machine B at Location B it suggested I watch Video A

This means they have to be storing information their end, not mine & cross referencing it Shirley?

Comment

Issue. I have two seperate laptops which I have used in two different locations. The only similar thing would be via AOL where I have logged into to my email on both machines.

On return home (location B) and on Machine B at Location B it suggested I watch Video A

This means they have to be storing information their end, not mine & cross referencing it Shirley?
                It is probably because you flag up on their "Gullible Twats" database. Not much you can do about it unfortunately.

HTH

scooterscot

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

So you admit you are trackable?
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Google or similar.

Possible it could be cookies though I clear them often. I do have a static ip though.

Comment

Working...
                    X